Topic: referencing gallery from inside an html page

hi,

i've just bought svmanager, uploaded the svmanager folder to the site root, and created a gallery, all is well.

i need to now pull the swf into an existing html page on the root folder, and im having a heck of a time doing that... i'm just getting the 'gallery not found' message... help!

i need this to show up at mysite/art.html,  i just have NO IDEA how to connect the two, and i've been through the manuals...

i've done the swf object embed code correctly, and i thought that maybe by referencing the swf directly like this:

var fo = new SWFObject("svmanager/plugins/simpleviewer/svmaster/viewer.swf", etc, etc etc

that it would work, but no dice... help!

Re: referencing gallery from inside an html page

No ideas?

There must be a simple solution here... Im just trying to embed the simpleviewer into an html page BUT ALSO have it updateable by the svManager... which I can't get working right now...

Help!

Well, embedding galleries in the home page has suddenly come from nowhere in the forum to be the hot topic of the week. The easiest way to do it is to leave the gallery index.php inside the gallery folder and redirect to it from the root. You can still edit the index.php so it looks the way you want it but there's no need to mess with the viewer paths. Please see this post for more information on doing a redirect.

The other approach of loading the swf into an html file in the root will also work but there are several paths to fix. It looks like you've already fixed the paths to swfobject.js and viewer.swf. You will also need to fix the path to the gallery.xml file and this is probably the one that's causing you problems at the moment. Finally, it's a good idea to use http: urls for the image paths in the xml file – you can do this be changing the path scheme in svManager. I've tried to explain all this in my reply to the recent topic by raindance so I won't repeat it here in detail.

The sudden interest in this topic is driving it up the priority list for some way of making it easier to embed the gallery in the home page without adding complexity for users who don't want to do it this way. I'm thinking about it right now and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions (other than 'just do it') then now would be a good time to speak up.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I've created a sub-domain on my web site with an example (http://svm1.jhardie.com). Hope this helps.

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks for the advice...

I almost have it working...

Having already changed the other paths, I just changed the xml path... now It is working EXCEPT the images aren't showing up!  (There is just large X's where the images should be).  The titles that I gave my images are showing up, so this proves that it is reading the XML, just no images...!  Any ideas?  I checked my site, and there are images in the images folder so...

???

Thanks

When I click on one of the image names (to get the close up) it thinks that the image is at mysite/images/picture.jpg instead of what it should be which is sv/manager/g1/images/picture.jpg... so its trying to get images from the root, even though i told it inside the manager the correct path to the web root...

???

Please see the notes on my example page below the gallery. You'll need to change the setting in svManager so it creates http style paths. Changing this setting does not change existing galleries – only new ones so you should create a new gallery.

If you don't want to create a new gallery then there is a trick to force svManager to update the paths for an existing gallery. Change the name of the gallery folder in the path to web root field in the Customize screen. SvManager interprets this as a gallery move and updates all the paths according to the current path scheme setting. You can then change the name back to what it was originally if you want to.

jack

Jack Hardie

OK, its working now... thanks!

That was a bit tricky though.  Not sure if SimpleViewer is the best name for this... in terms of integrating it with the manager and embedding it in an html page...

How about NotNecessarilyThatSimpleViewer?

Cheers