Topic: Cannot click all thumbnails after resizing

SimplerViewer is working well for me, but I am experiencing a weird problem (only in firefox, no problem in IE8):

All thumbnails are clickable when the browser window is maximized, but if I resize the browser window, some (random) image thumbnails no longer respond to the mouse click event (i.e. you can't click them). 

My data.xml file contains:

<simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth="1024" maxImageHeight="1024" textColor="0x00C0C0" frameColor="0x000000" frameWidth="0" stagePadding="40" navPadding="40" thumbnailColumns="3" thumbnailRows="4" navPosition="left" vAlign="top" hAlign="center" title="Characters and Puppets" enableRightClickOpen="true" backgroundImagePath="gallery-background.jpg" imagePath="../galleries/01/" thumbPath="../galleries/01/thumbs/">

My data.htm file sets two variables and a parameters:

var fo = new SWFObject("viewer.swf", "viewer", "100%", "100%", "8", "#FFFFFF");
        fo.addVariable("xmlDataPath", "data.xml");
        fo.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
        fo.addVariable("preloaderColor", "0x00C0C0");

Usually it is the top one two or three rows of thumbnails that cannot be clicked.  Any ideas on fixing this for firefox?

Last edited by faxedhead (2009-10-08 13:36:13)

Re: Cannot click all thumbnails after resizing

please post the url to the gallery.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

You can see the problem here: http://sass.talsit.info/flash-site-final/

go to menu [Image Galleries->Characters and Puppets] to view the gallery.

In firefox, when the browser window is maximised, no problem, restore the browser window and some of the thumbnails stop working.  The smaller you resize the window, the more thumbnails are broken.

Thanks.

Looks like your flash drop-down menu is taking the mouse clicks. AFAIK it's not possible to overlay one swf over another without issues. You could move the thumbnails to the right of your gallery.

Felix Turner

Ahh - makes perfect sense, I will replace the menu with a non-flash one.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I am having the same issue with firefox...although I am pretty sure its not the same cause.  When the window is resized (smaller) I cannot click on the top thumbnail. Here is the url: http://www.classicrealestate.com/listin … ?MLS_NUM=3

@tyelving
As you use an <iframe>, you should not have to give the gallery a transparent background as your gallery is not embedded into the same page that contains your drop-down menu.
Try changing the gallery's background from 'transparent' to a color (such as #C2BCB2), giving you embedding code such as:

<script type="text/javascript">
  var flashvars = {};
  flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml?nocache=137552725";
  simpleviewer.ready(function () {
    simpleviewer.load('sv-container', '100%', '100%', 'C2BCB2', true, flashvars, null, null, false);
  });
</script>
Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven for your reply and your help.  I set the background to a color but it made no difference.  I made sure to clear the cache but the problem still persists in Firefox.

Strange...I set the transparency to 'false' in svManager but the embedding code still contains transparent...wierd

Try again, deselecting the 'Backgnd transparent' checkbox on the 'Customize' page and then click 'Update'.
I have tested the functionality of this in the latest version of svManager (v1.7.7) and it works correctly for me.

Steven Speirs

Okay...I removed the transparency but now in Explorer my drop-down menus are behind the viewer. It did, however,  solve the issue with the thumbnail.

Last edited by tyelving (2011-05-14 18:57:13)

I've just validated your page at the W3C Markup Validation Service and noticed that the code for the gallery (the <iframe>) is outside the closing </body> and </html> tags.
It should be inside these tags.
Also, there are other errors on the page that should be fixed in order for the page to validate and be displayed with greater consistency when viewed in different browsers.

Steven Speirs

I fixed all the errors but my drop-down menu is still under the viewer.  Thanks for your patience.

Try setting the 'wmode' param to 'opaque' instead of 'transparent'.
Keep the 'Backgnd Transparent' checkbox deselected in svManager (ie use a color for the background rather than set it to be transparent) and edit the file: http://www.classicrealestate.com/listin … /index.php manually.
Download the file from your web server, open it in a plain text editor and change the following code in the file before reuploading it.
Change:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
      var flashvars = {};
      flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml?nocache=<?php echo rand(); ?>";
        simpleviewer.load(
          'sv-container',
          <?php print $galleryWidth; ?>,
          <?php print $galleryHeight; ?>,
          <?php print $backgroundColor; ?>,
          <?php print $useFlash; ?>,
          <?php print $flashVars; ?>,
          <?php print $params; ?>,
          <?php print $attributes; ?>,
          <?php print $useColorCorrection; ?>
          );
      });
    </script>
    <div id="sv-container"></div>
    <!--END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

... to:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
      var flashvars = {};
      flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml?nocache=<?php echo rand(); ?>";
      var params = {};
      params.wmode = "opaque";
        simpleviewer.load(
          'sv-container',
          <?php print $galleryWidth; ?>,
          <?php print $galleryHeight; ?>,
          <?php print $backgroundColor; ?>,
          <?php print $useFlash; ?>,
          <?php print $flashVars; ?>,
          params,
          <?php print $attributes; ?>,
          <?php print $useColorCorrection; ?>
          );
      });
    </script>
    <div id="sv-container"></div>
    <!--END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
Steven Speirs

Changing the wmode to opaque fixed the problem with explorer but caused the thumbnail issue with Firefox to re-surface.

Try giving your menu a greater z-index than your gallery to force it to the front.
Change:

<div class="menu">

... to:

<div class="menu" style="z-index: 99;">

And change:

<div class="center">

... to:

<div class="center" style="z-index: 98;">

In doing this, you should also be able to revert the gallery's index.php page back to the way it was before and have your background as either transparent or a color.

Steven Speirs

Unfortunately, z-index was one of the very first things I tried.  I think this really boils down to browsers always pushihng flash objects to the front regardless if they are embedded or in an iframe.  The only fix I have heard of for drop-down menus that fall behind flash objects is to set wmode to transparent or as you suggested opaque.

Given the issue with Firefox, wmode set to transparent and using the simple viewer I think I will just have to re-position the drop-down menu.  Please let me know if you ever discover why the top thumbnails in simple viewer become "un-clickable" in Firefox after reszing (smaller) when the wmode is transparent.

Thanks for all your help.