Topic: Java not responding

Hi. Suddenly I am no longer to ADD IMAGES to a gallery in svManager. I am running Mac OS 10.5.8. I tested your online demo version of the svManager in Safari and everything works fine. I then installed the latest version of svManager, it is up and running, but the previous problem persists. Instead of the Java icon/cup I simply have an X.

Please advise!

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Java not responding

The current version of svManager was developed on OS X 10.5.8 so whatever it is we can't blame the Mac  wink

Suddenly I am no longer to ADD IMAGES...

Does that mean that it worked to start with and then it stopped working?

Could you please install the svManager server compatibility test and check if that gives the same problem. It's often easier to diagnose problems in the simpler test environment rather than in svManager itself.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Everything worked fine for a few years. I changed nothing on the computer in the last few months. Yesterday when I attempted to upload photos via svManager I was unable to do so. I then UPGRADED my version of svManager to the latest version. Still no success. When I clik on UPLOAD FILES the Java icon/cup shows up for about 2 seconds and then an "X" appears.

I did install the svManager server compatibility test. The basic and file test are successful, but the UPLOAD TEST fails, i.e. the sam ething happens: Java icon/cup appears for 2 seconds then an "X" appears. Drag and drop also does not work.

Peter

It would be good to know if any java errors are occurring. Logging of java errors is turned off by default in svManager itself but it's turned on in the svManager server compatibility test. To see the java console in your mac go to Applications/Utilities and run Java Preferences.app. Go to the advanced tab and choose the Show console button. Then try an upload with the compatibility test. Does anything show in the console log?

Another thing you could try is to clear out the java cache. I had some strange problems with the java applet some time ago and I discovered that my Mac was storing some really old (like years old) versions of the .jar files in its cache. I deleted the cached files and hey presto! Not promising it will work for you but worth a try.

The Java Preferences.app has an option to delete cached files but it didn't work for me. I had to find the files and drag them to the trash. Mine were in (wait for it) Macintosh HD/Users/My user name/Library/Caches/Java/cache/javapi/v1.0/jar Look for files starting with labels.jar or myuploader-source-signed-1.12.2.jar or similar. These are specific to the myUploader applet and they are just cache files so you should be able to delete them without any problems. If you are the super-careful type then don't delete them, drag them to another folder somewhere.

Let us know how you get on.

jack

Jack Hardie

I tried clearisn the java cache as per your instructions and that did not yield any positive results.

Here are the results of the Java console log after running the svManager server compatibility test:

load: class javaatwork.myuploader.UploadApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javaatwork.myuploader.UploadApplet.class
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:210)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:144)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:695)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:723)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1870)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:652)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:326)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

I hope this issue can be resolved this since I am two days behind in updating our site...

Thanks!
Peter

PS Can there be a hosting issue in this matter? If the java uploader works on the svManager DEMO (airtight site), i.e. on Airtight's server, then it could be a server issue. If so, what can it specifically be that prevents Java uploader?

I tried uploading photos via svManager on my laptop and the result is the same: initially the java icon/cup appears for about 2 seconds and then an "X". Thus the problem does seem to lie with the hosting server, rather than my machine(s). What can it be?

Peter

since I am two days behind in updating our site...

Just for a short-term workaround can you upload (or delete) images with ftp and then rebuild the gallery?

Meanwhile, lets try to get to the bottom of the real problem. This could be a clue:

The UploadApplet.class file should be inside one of the java archive (.jar) files on your server. I'm not a java expert but afaik .jar files are a bit like .zip files that hold the java code. I think the missing class should be inside svmanager/uploader/myuploader-source-signed-1.13.jar. So why can't it find the class? Could it be missing, corrupted, read-protected?

Try uploading a new copy of this file to your server from the zip file you downloaded from SimpleViewer.net when you upgraded. Make sure it uploads as a binary file, not text. Check that the permissions make it readable. It doesn't need to be writeable.

It's also probably worth uploading a clean copy of the file that creates the html to load the java. That one is svmanager/classes/uploadpage.php and it should upload as a text file.

jack

Jack Hardie

1. Thanks. I was able to manually upload the pics via FTP and that is a relief.

2. I tried your recommendations and am still unable to upload via svManager. True, I just uploaded the clen svmanager/classes/uploadpage.php from the unzipped folder (I don't know how to determine whether it is a binary or text file).

I think I get the same Java console results:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javaatwork.myuploader.UploadApplet.class
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:210)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:144)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:695)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:723)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1870)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:652)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:326)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

Is there something that can be attempted/done on the SERVER end?

Peter

Did you also upload a new version of the other file: svmanager/uploader/myuploader-source-signed-1.13.jar
That was the more important of the two really.

I think you are right that it's server-side. Do you have access to the server logs? I mean the detailed access logs that have an entry for each page request received by the server. The entries are timed so you should be able to look at the log for exactly the time when you try to do an upload.

This is what my server access log shows when I do an upload with the svManager server compatibility test (I've simplified the paths a bit and missed out the ip address):

- - [15/Nov/2009:17:50:42 +0100] "GET /path/myuploader-free-signed-1.12.2.jar HTTP/1.1" 200 76182 www.jhardie.com "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (Mac OS X 10.5.8) Java/1.5.0_20" "-"

- - [15/Nov/2009:17:50:47 +0100] "GET /path/labels.jar HTTP/1.1" 200 6488 www.jhardie.com "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (Mac OS X 10.5.8) Java/1.5.0_20" "-"

- - [15/Nov/2009:17:51:14 +0100] "POST /path/myupload.php?path=fullpath HTTP/1.0" 200 0 www.jhardie.com "-" "MyUploader/1.12" "-"

It looks a bit daunting but it's just a GET request for myuploader-free-signed-1.12.2.jar and then a second GET request for labels.jar and then a POST to the php script that handles the upload on the server side.

You should see something similar with different paths. Any error messages might provide a clue.

jack

Jack Hardie

I did upload a new version of svmanager/uploader/myuploader-source-signed-1.13.jar.

I am not very capable when it comes to server side issues. I can do some things using cPanel, but that's about it. I did check the ERROR LOG in cPanel. How can I post it on this forum? Perhaps you can walk me through the "GET" process?

I am glad that I can manually FTP photos, but would like to get the svManager issue resolved nonetheless.

Thanks.
Peter