Topic: Image pre-loading

I have a strange problem where images fail to pre-load. It doesn't seem to be a problem confined to a single PC or browser. Variables are set correctly (I believe) in the XML:

stagePadding="5"
    thumbnailColumns="6"
    thumbnailRows="1"
    navPosition="top"
    title="Times"
    enableRightClickOpen="false"
    backgroundImagePath=""
    imagePath=""
    thumbPath=""
    flickrTitleFontColor="#FFFF00"
    thumbPosition="TOP"
    titlePosition="NONE"
    captionPosition="NONE"
    buttonBarPosition="OVERLAY"
    buttonBarVAlign="BOTTOM"
    buttonBarHAlign="RIGHT"
    showNavButtons="false"
    showAutoPlayButton="true"
    showOpenButton="false"
    showFullscreenButton="false"
    buttonBarScale="1.4"
    buttonBarBackOpacity="0.5"
    buttonBarPadding="10"
    showImageNav="HOVER"
    showToolTips="true"
    imageScaleMode="SCALE_UP"
    maxImageWidth="600"
    maxImageHeight="400"
    showOverlay="ALWAYS"
    imageTransitionType="FADE"
    imageFrameStyle="ROUNDED"
    frameWidth="3"
    embedWidth="100%"
    embedHeight="100%"
    autoPlayOnLoad="false"
    imagePreloading="ALL"
    imageClickMode="NAVIGATE"
    thumbWidth="75"
    thumbHeight="50"
    thumbColumns="6"
    thumbRows="1"
    thumbNavPosition="CENTER"
    captionDropShadow="true"
    flickrTitleFontSize="30"
    captionPadding="20"
    imageNumberFontSize="10"
    thumbFrameWidth="1"
    thumbLoadBarHeight="5"
    imageNavStyle="CIRCLE"
    captionFontSize="15"
    thumbHoverFrameWidth="3"
    embedColor="FFFFFF"
    hideOverlayOnTransition="false"
    lockBottomStack="true"
    showThumbVisited="false"
    thumbDropShadow="true"
    changeCaptionOnHover="true"
    changeImageOnHover="false"
        thumbPreloading="ALL"
    thumbFrameStyle="ROUNDED"
    textColor="000000"
    stageBorder="5"
    stageHPadding="5"
    stageVPadding="10"
    lockTopStack="true"
    enableKeyboardControls="false"
    frameColor="CCCCFF"
    imageCornerRadius="10"
    imageBackColor="FFFFFF"
    imageSmoothing="true"
    showBigPlayButton="false"
    imageNavScale="2"
    imageNavColor="CCCCFF"
    thumbFrameColor="FFFFFF"
    thumbFrameHoverColor="CCCCFF"
    showThumbLoadBar="true"
    thumbNavStyle="CIRCLE"
    thumbNavPadding="5"
    floatButtonBar="false"
    thumbClickShift="2"
    thumbNavBackOpacity="0.5"
    thumbNavSlideTime="1"
    thumbNavBackColor="000000"
    thumbNavColor="FFFFFF"
    thumbPadding="5"
    imageDropShadow="true"
    showBackButton="false"
    displayTime="4"
    thumbNavHoverColor="CCCCFF"
    imageBackOpacity="0"

When the gallery loads, the first, fourth and fifth thumbnails (of six) remain dark. When clicking on them, they lighten, and the image loads with no problems. Any ideas?

Re: Image pre-loading

I've just tested this by creating a new gallery from scratch using the CS4 script, then loading it up in svBuilder. The results are the same (duplicated in svBuilder before even trying it in a browser). This is the case using the default presets. Images appear to randomly fail to preload. However, I never see the thumbnail loading bar appear, so I suspect the images may actually be preloading, but the thumbs not updating to their brightened state.

Please put a URL to the gallery having this issue.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Here's an example. I've stripped all my own code and just left the bare basics. Be sure to refresh a couple of times if you don't see it at first, as the behaviour seems slightly random.

http://www.isleofalbion.co.uk/grey2/test.php

I can't see how it can be related to the site though - as I said, I'm seeing exactly the same thing in svBuilder with an entirely fresh set of images using default scripts. I've also replicated the behaviour on multiple PCs and in both IE and Firefox. I'm totally stumped. It's such a persistent problem, I can't imagine how you'd have missed it. But I can't see how it can be specific to anything that I'm doing at this end. I really hope I'm being stupid and missing something obvious though!

Last edited by mustard (2009-12-02 20:27:22)

Any ideas please? I think I've ruled out all possibilities apart from the software. I'm starting to wonder if the swf file is corrupt. I can't re-download it, as the link has expired.

Guys, any chance of a response please? The product is unusable for me at the moment. Even a fresh download link would help, to see if the original file has become corrupt. Thanks.  smile

Looking into it, I don't have any issues with galleries I have created until I use your XML settings... or hit the refresh button in svBuilder.

Mike Richards

Thanks Mike. I don't think it's the xml though. As I said, it happens in svBuilder as well. Here's an example. Gallery loaded with no changes direct from the SV2.0 download.... \simpleviewer-pro\web

http://www.isleofalbion.co.uk/example1.jpg

As you can see from the menu on the right, pre-load is set to "all" (and yes, refreshed). The images are still dark.

Here's the same screen after I click on the images to force them to load.

http://www.isleofalbion.co.uk/example2.jpg

I can't see how this can be a local problem.

svBuilder, loads the XML and simpleviewer.swf so it should look and act the same in both svBuilder and when you load it through a web page.

Mike Richards

Yes, it does. The images fail to pre-load in svBuilder and on my site. I posted the example from svBuilder showing the gallery from the SV2.0 download, as this demonstrates that it's not any modifications to the xml file causing the problem.

Have you duplicated this, or are you only seeing it on the sample gallery that I linked to? Is it possible that my version of the swf file is corrupt?

I'm only seeing it in svBuilder when I use your XML settings. I'm not yet sure if it is a bug in svBuilder or a conflict in the XML settings.

Mike Richards

As I say, I'm seeing it in svBuilder and on my site. And I'm seeing it with the default xml settings as well.

Hi,

It seems there is a bug when 'imagePreloading' and 'thumbPreloading' are set to 'ALL'. Setting them back to the default ('PAGE') is the workaround. The next version will fix this issue.

Felix Turner

Felix, that doesn't seem to resolve the issue. I've set both options to "page" in the xml, but the problem remains:

http://www.isleofalbion.co.uk/grey2/test.php

Again, refresh a couple of times if it doesn't appear at first. It seems a bit erratic. I've cleared the browser cache, so it's definitely the new xml values being used.

Another observation.... after clearing the cache, the first page load seems fine. Subsequent refreshes consistently reproduce the problem until the cache is cleared again.

This issue is fixed in SimpleViewer-Pro v2.0.1. Use you original download link to get the latest files.

Felix Turner