Topic: Resize on Upload

I can upload files that have already be resized to my Max. width & height, but when I attempt to upload a larger image with "resizing" turned on, it will always get to 33% and stall out. I've attempted this on 2 different G4 Mac computers with all the Java Updates available. 

According to other forum posts, it is the Java applet that handles the resizing.  If this is true, then is there another way around using this upload feature and still resizing the images?  Probably not an easy way, but it's worth anything to relieve the headaches of my clients, who can't seem to grasp how to resize an image before uploading it.

I have also attempted on a 10Mbs upload connection, so I know it's not timing out on trying to upload a large file. I just don't think the images are getting resized.

Re: Resize on Upload

svManager was developed on a G5. I'll dig-out my G4 laptop and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Yes, the java applet does the resizing.

Which version of svManager are you using (Admin screen, bottom left).

Does it happen in all browsers?

Does it happen with all files or only large ones?

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

svManager version 1.5.4, build 091104

It does happen in both Safari and Firefox, but as you suggested, I tried it with smaller files that had already been resized (about 200k) and it worked fine.  When I try an image 1MB or larger, it gets to 33% and says "Resizing...," but the clock keeps ticking for up to 3 minutes before I cancel.

Thanks for your help on this.

I tried it on my G4 laptop with a jpg 2592 px by 3888px, file size 2.7MB. Resizing to 800 x 600 took about 10 seconds and the image uploaded ok. The laptop is running Leopard 10.5.8 with 1GB RAM. I was uploading to the latest version of svManager with the latest version of the java applet.

If you'd like to email me via the forum and send me the url of your svManager installation and the logon details then I'll try an upload to see if we can pin the problem down further.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.