Topic: Will SimpleViewer do the job?

Hello all

I have just discovered the SimpleViewer suite today and are fairly impressed with what I have seen so far.  Now I'm just trying to get my head around the software and figure out which would be the best tool for the task ahead.   

I have been asked to build some websites for some artistic friends, to enable them to post photographs and text of their work on the net. 

Most of these people are non technical, but they would like to have the ability to perform basic maintenance of their own websites, such as adding and removing photographs from existing galleries.

Rather than use an external utility, such as flickr, to create and manage the photo galleries, I am considering installing a copy of svManager on each of their sites.  I am hoping this will enable the user to add and remove their photographs from existing galleries.  I would provide the supporting html and css code to host the website itself.

However, after running through the demo version of svManager, I am still a little unsure of how exactly svManager creates its galleries and what happens to the gallery after it is created.  When a new gallery is created, does svManager produce an swf or an xml file?  If so where is the file saved to when it is saved?

Also, can anyone please point out the benefits of svBuilder over svManager?   

Many thanks

Last edited by grantls (2009-12-13 23:26:43)

Re: Will SimpleViewer do the job?

SV manager creates a new folder in the root for a new gallery, duplicates the .swf file from the plugins folder but creates a unique xml file holding the data, image location, caption etc.

It works well, but if you don't have good knowledge of action script etc, the cms is very difficult to modify and there isn't any support for this.

It works well, but if you don't have good knowledge of action script etc, the cms is very difficult to modify

Hi,

this is no longer true with the release of SimpleViewer 2.0. SV 2.0 allows you to customize galleries via XML or svBuilder.

can anyone please point out the benefits of svBuilder over svManager?

svBuilder and svManager work together. svManager is a web based tool for creating and managing multiple galleries. It allows you to upload images and will create the thumbnails and XML for a gallery. svBuilder is a desktop app that allows you to do advanced customization on galleries.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Felix,

Some precisons.
I am using the new pro version with svManager.
For configuring pro options it's very easy to work with svBuilder. I use a standalone version on my PC and then I upload the gallery.xml.
Is there a possibility of using svBuilder on my distant site or better in svManager ?
Is it possible to use one or several template gallery (configure with svBuilder) with svManager ?

A new version of svManager has just been released. A new feature is the ability to clone an existing gallery. So if you have one or more Pro galleries created with svBuilder then you can easily clone them on the server and continue to manage all the galleries with svManager.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.