Topic: Works beautifully in Firefox but not in IE8

Hello,

Thank you for this wonderful app. I didn't realize until I started testing with IE and I'm not so sure why simple view fails to appear in IE8. I thought that I was missing the flash player extension but it seems to not be the problem.

Can someone check this UEL.. in IE please...

Thank you.

Last edited by crazydiver (2010-01-02 13:53:11)

Re: Works beautifully in Firefox but not in IE8

Couldn't get it to work in IE7 either.  But no problem in FF3.5.6.  IE7 wanted permission to access some msxml Active-X add-on and I let it- it didn't help.

I'm also getting reports of users not being able to load the galleries I created at:

http://www.greendevgroup.com/ocoeegallery.html
and
http://www.greendevgroup.com/stuartgallery.html

I am having no problem with them in either browser, and wondering if this is an end-user Flash player or Java version issue...

Hello Mr. News,

How did you get it to work in IE8?

I guess maybe the way I installed this wonderful flash component wrong because I don't get anything in IE6 IE7, and IE8...
However, I get a notice that I am experiencing the same problem you get in IE 7 relating to MSXML3.0 SP10... Every time I allow, I just get a blank...

Weird.

Thanks.

Try adding <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> to the top of the doc before the <simpleviewerGallery> tag.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

crazydiver wrote:

Hello Mr. News,

How did you get it to work in IE8?

I couldn't get yours to work in IE7. (and I don't have IE8- I'll start using it when IE10 comes out, LOL).

I did realize I had used Simpleview v1.8 to create all my recent galleries (via the Picasa plug-in), and I've just updated to v2.0 and re-installed the latest Picasa plug-in.  Now I see some gallery enhancements, and perhaps there are some bug fixes that will improve performance.  I have a very dissatisfied web design client right now...

Miker,

Thanks for your reply... in the xml document I already have <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> on the top. I still don't know why it works in Firefox but not in IE ... IE is killing me.

I wonder if it has anything to do with using basic embed... because I did have trouble with using the javascript method.

Mr. News, thanks for checking out IE7 out for me.  Sorry to hear about your client but thank you for your time.

Ok.... here is the answer for those that haven't found it.
I am using a solution from the Sweetwheels user post, but it IS the answer to Simpleviewer v2 not showing up in IE.

If you paste the <object... code from the "basic_embed.html" file, it WILL work in Firefox, BUT it will just show up as an indented box with nothing in it while looking from Internet Explorer.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!

Use this code in the <head> of your page....

<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var flashvars = {};
    flashvars.galleryURL="gallery.xml";
    var params={};           
    params.allowfullscreen="true";
    params.allowscriptaccess="always";
    params.wmode="transparent";
    swfobject.embedSWF("simpleviewer.swf", "flashContent", "700px", "600px", "9.0.124", false, flashvars, params);
</script>

(You can change the "700" and "600" to fit the size you are wanting it to fill. Also, you can take out the params.wmode="transparent"; line if you want it NOT to be transparent. Otherwise, it will be from my code.)

You are not finished yet, though.

COPY THE NEXT LINE where you want the Simpleviewer to show up on your page.

<span id="flashContent"></span>

The creator of Simpleviewer put a line that tells people to download the latest Flash player if the viewer isn't showing. I might add that later, but I can attest that the shown solution WILL fix your problem of the viewer not showing in IE if the symptoms are the same as above.

Make sure that you are using all files from Simpleviewer v2 for it to work.

billipo wrote:

I am using a solution from the Sweetwheels user post, but it IS the answer to Simpleviewer v2 not showing up in IE.
    swfobject.embedSWF("simpleviewer.swf", "flashContent", "700px", "600px", "9.0.124", false, flashvars, params);
</script>

COPY THE NEXT LINE where you want the Simpleviewer to show up on your page.
<span id="flashContent"></span>

Some questions:

-- I'm guessing the "9.0.124" is an Adobe Flash Player version number.  Current version is 10.  What happens if the end-user has version 8?
-- "simpleviewer.swf" can be changed if you rename your swf?  To something like "gallery1.swf"?
--I assume the "swfobject.js" file can be called from another folder, like: "scripts/swfobject.js"?
-- Will this code validate in W3C as strict or transitional xhtml?

I'm having no problems seeing my galleries in FF3.5 and IE7.  However some end-users are reportedly not seeing the galleries, but as yet I have no data on their software configurations...

billipo wrote:

If you paste the <object... code from the "basic_embed.html" file, it WILL work in Firefox, BUT it will just show up as an indented box with nothing in it while looking from Internet Explorer.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!

<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
    var flashvars = {};
    flashvars.galleryURL="gallery.xml";
    var params={};           
    params.allowfullscreen="true";
    params.allowscriptaccess="always";
    params.wmode="transparent";
</script>

i'm having the same trouble as the others in this thread and i really want to use your solution but i've one got a problem. i want to have several of these galleries together on the same page. they are called 'gallery1.xml, gallery2.xml, etc'. how do i use this bit of script and still call these individual galleries to appear on the same html page?

isensmith wrote:

i'm having the same trouble as the others in this thread and i really want to use your solution but i've one got a problem. i want to have several of these galleries together on the same page. they are called 'gallery1.xml, gallery2.xml, etc'. how do i use this bit of script and still call these individual galleries to appear on the same html page?

Should be relatively easy.  Rename the "viewer.swf" (or "simpleviewer.swf") as gallery1.swf.  Put the gallery1 thumbnails in a folder named "gallery1thumbs" and the large pics in a folder named "gallery1pics".  Create the same scheme for gallery2: gallery2.swf, gallery2thumbs, gallery2pics.   In each xml file (gallery1.xml and gallery2.xml), make sure the thumbPath and the imagePath point to the right folder.
In your html insertion code for each gallery, make sure to change the name of the swf and the xml files to the appropriate name (and path if necessary).  That should work.

Last edited by Mr.News (2009-12-20 10:34:55)

Alright...

Must be doing something right but not perfect...

I used the javascript embed method and yes... it still works in Firefox but not in IE.

However, this time for IE, only the background appears, a step better than last time but the photos still do no appear.

The photos are all stored in a flickr account.

I have placed this code in the head... an index.php file...

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/swfobject/2.2/swfobject.js"></script>
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml";
var params = {};
params.bgcolor = "999999";
params.allowfullscreen = true;
params.allowscriptaccess = "always";
swfobject.embedSWF("simpleviewer.swf", "flashContent", "800", "600", "9.0.124", false, flashvars, params);
</script>

then this code in the body I want the flash to appear in...

<div id="flashContent">SimpleViewer requires JavaScript and the Flash Player.
<a href="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer/">Get Flash.</a></div>

IE is driving me nuts!!!

Last edited by crazydiver (2009-12-21 01:32:03)