Topic: 'title' seems to be limited to one line

I have had wonderful succes with simpleviewer 1.9.  So, I set up a test directory for simpleviewer 2.0.1.  When I edited the gallery.xml file, I placed a 'title' that I wanted to wrap to 2 lines.  It appears that version 2.0.1 truncates the 'title' to one line.

On version 1.9, it seemed to adjust the 'title' so that it auto-wrapped depending on the number of columns of thumbs.

What advice can you give me -- the current implementation is unacceptable (i.e. to be limited to one line).

Dick

Re: 'title' seems to be limited to one line

Hi,

you are correct SimpleViewer v2.0.1 limits the title to 1 line. This may change in the next version.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Felix,

Thanks for confirming my problem.  I guess I'll have to stick with v1.9!  I'll try again when a new release comes out.

Dick

Felix wrote:

Hi,

you are correct SimpleViewer v2.0.1 limits the title to 1 line. This may change in the next version.

Is there really no hope of a fix for this, even a patch we could use in the gallery.xml file? It's small but a bit of a deal-breaker as I was just about to buy....

Thanks,

Felix wrote:

Hi,

Does SimpleViewer Pro have this same "feature", er, problem?

Felix wrote:

Hi,

Any hope that this might be addressed soon-ish....??

Many thanks,

I, too, am hoping for a resolution.  I dearly wish to upgrade to the 2.x version, but with the 'title' limited to one line, it's a 'no-go' for me.

Dick

Here's a work-around that you can use for replacing the title with whatever you want. A little convoluted but it works. You do need to use fixed layout for this:

Once you've finished your layout the way you want it to look, open it in a browser. Do a selected screen shot of the svgallery box and save it. Open the image in Photoshop. Create a new layer and color it the same as your gallery color. Create another layer and design your title. Drag the original screen shot image layer to the top and pull down the opacity so you can see your title underneath. Position your title where you want it. Get rid of the screen shot and then save your design as a jpeg and put it in your images folder. Open Background Image in svBuilder and set your backgound URL to the image you saved. Shazam. You can use this technique to create other background effects like image frames, etc that you can't do in simpleviewer.

TimClark,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I would say that the 'work around' is a little over the top. ha-ha.  As a retired software engineer, I guess I have done worse 'work arounds' than that, but I think that I'll wait for the real 'fix' or go to some other software.

I have many picture gallerys on the web site and I need to add attribution to each.  This solution just isn't workable.  Right now it works just fine in v1.9 so I guess I'll use that while I'm searching for software that's more accommodating.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the simplicity and elegance of SimpleViewer, but due to the encountered problems and the fact that there isn't even a statement to the effect that this is even a problem or that it will even be fixed, I can't see a long term future with this product.

Also, since only a couple of us seem to have an issue with this, I guess everyone else has no problem with being limited to one line.  Unfortumately, it's a deal breaker for me.

Dick

I have many picture gallerys on the web site and I need to add attribution to each.

Can you not use the caption text for this?

We do plan on adding multi line titles in the next version of SimpleViewer.

Felix Turner

Felix,

Thank you for replying.  It's really good to hear that Simpleviewer will eventually support more that one line(again)  in the Title.  As to the use of the Caption in lieu of the Title; no, in my case that's not an acceptable solution.

As I indicated, I can wait for the new release since I can simply use v1.9 until it's available.  And since you indicate that a fix is in the works, I'm willing to wait.

Any idea when a new release will be available? One month, six months, etc????

Thanks again for the update,

Dick

Imagine my surprise today when I logged on and found that verson 2.0.2 was available!

Imagine my surprise today when I downloaded the new version and it still limits the 'title' to one line!

I guess that I was hoping for too much...

Very disappointed,

Dick

I'd still like to see the 'title' accept HTML line breaks (as per v1.9) but in the meantime, I'm using 
 to break the 'title' into multiple lines, eg:

title="Line 1
Line2"
Steven Speirs

I'd also like to give my support to the idea of having multi-line titles.  I would hope that this would be implemented such that users would not be forced to set line breaks manually, but rather the lines would simply break as needed based on the text length.

I look forward to this change whenever it happens to be released.  Thanks!

Multi-line titles are now supported in SimpleViewer v2.0.3.

Felix Turner

Works well!  Thanks so much for adding this feature.   smile

Felix,

Thanks so much for the update!

Before I test the new version, am I correct in assuming that the only thing that needs to be changed between v2.0.2 and v2.0.3 is the .swf file?

Dick

That is correct just replace the swf

Mike Richards

Can the 'title' font & size be chosen or does Simpleviewer use a fixed font & size?

Dick

titleFontName      "Helvetica, Arial,_sans"     
Comma delimited list of system fonts to use for captions. Note these fonts must be on the user's machine to be displayed.

titleFontSize      22      Default title font size. Can be overridden by HTML formatting.

http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … html#title

Mike Richards

miker & Felix,

I am embarrassed to have overlooked that section of the Options.  I must be becoming senile.

Thank you guys (and developers) for fixing the title multiple line issue.   It works great!

Nothing I have tried beats the simplicity and elegance of Simpleviewer!  Keep up the great work!

Thanks again...

Dick

Can you tell me if Simpleviewer 2.0.3 is available as the free download, or does one have to pay for Pro?  Thanks

PS - you weren't the only one who needs the ability for the title to wrap.  Since that is the only thing I need right now, not sure if its worth the $45 to me, but we shall see.

Both the Standard and Pro versions support for multi-line title support as of 2.0.3.

Mike Richards

Where is possible to download the simpleviewer version 2.0.3 ????

The download can be found at http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/

Mike Richards