Topic: Chronological order of thumbnails in PostCardViewer Pro

www.whatdidninawear.com

My client posts daily pictures of herself, so the order of the thumbnails, arranged in weekly rows of the seven days is crucial. I've had an impossible time, though, making the thumbnails follow chronological order. I edited the SWF by changing the "Random" setting to "false" and republished the file, then I FTP'ed it to the server in the folder for the month. Very strangely, the new SWF may or may not randomize the thumbnails' dates. Or weirder still, if it does put the images in chronological order, it may not work properly when I do the next update, which is every seven days. I don't overwrite the SWF from the previous week, though. The order may return to random. Finally, more often then not the randomizing will continue to be the default state no matter what I do. Very frustrating. Thoughts?

Re: Chronological order of thumbnails in PostCardViewer Pro

By default PostcardViewer-Pro will randomize the display order of the images. To disable this, use the 'randomize' pro option: http://www.simpleviewer.net/postcardvie … s.html#pro

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Felix- Thanks for responding. If you read my post again, you'll see that I was indeed trying to follow the posted instructions by changing the "Random" setting to "False" from "True", so that the photos would no longer be random. Then, as I said, I republished the SWF. If I'm missing something, please inform me. I have to say that the instructions given are minimal.

Thanks

Did you try clearing your browser's cache after making the change to the swf?

Mike Richards

Hi Mike-

I clear my cache (locally, meaning my own computer's) after each weekly update so that I can test the gallery. Are you implying that the cache at the server (if such a thing exists - that's beyond my knowledge as a lowly designer) must be cleared?

As I mentioned, sometimes the republished SWF will stop the randomizing, sometimes not. When occasionally it works I've tried replacing all the "random" SWF's (one for each month) with the one that's in chronological order. They may or not work, and further, it may hold true only till the next week when I update with the past week's pictures, when it might randomize again, even though I always move the current SWF to a holding folder so it won't be overwritten by the newly-created gallery from the Photoshop script's output.

Thanks

Sounds like the non-random SWF is being overwritten somehow. You could try renaming the non-random swf (and in the embed code) to ensure it doesn't get overwritten. You could also check the creation date on the SWFs to make sure you are looking at the right one.

Felix Turner