Topic: Using Tilt or SimpleViewer for a search engine?

When I first came across the SV suite, I immediately thought, how cool would it be if I could use them to power a Flickr search engine?

And so I had a play and came up with:

Question though, is it wrong to use the SV products in this way?  SV and/or Flickr could have some small print that says my site cannot do what it is doing?

Re: Using Tilt or SimpleViewer for a search engine?

The is a neat idea thanks for sharing. To answer your question the terms of use does not preclude its use as search engine.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

The problem, horatioh, is that you support neither searching for phrases nor using quotes. I suggest you combine the two. It's especially a problem as this product uses OR technique for Flickr tags.

For example, searching for:
hillary clinton
would return Bill Clinton images as well (or any other Clinton in the world).

I suggest that if quotes are used (currently you unsupport it), e.g.
"hillary clinton"
Let the PHP turn it to hillary clinton instead of hillary,clinton
And if the search is for:
"hillary clinton" bill
Let the php translate it to hillary clinton, bill

Hopefully in the future this product would support negative tags (e.g. -bill) but that's not up to you.

Last edited by bugmenot (2010-01-25 12:29:00)

Thanks for the info bugmenot, very helpful.

Firstly, this is just a play toy more than anything, I liked the SV software and I love Flickr so combining the two was a natural way to make me smile smile

Second, not sure about SimpleViewer, but TiltViewer allows a choice of "ANY" tags or "ALL" tags, so the Clinton search described should work, providing the images have been tagged with both "hillary" and "clinton"... but point taken, it is a long way from perfect!

You're right that I could allow quotes in the search string and process the query to allow for a better search and I will look to do that the next time I have a spare 5 mins!

Regarding negative quotes, it would be good if Simple and Tiltviewer allowed you to process more of the Flickr API commands.  This page - … tions.html - says for more Flickr commands, follow a link to the Flickr API command list - so perhaps I can?