Topic: Reload images? (svBuilder especially)

Hi,

this weekend I tried to update the webpage I've created with SimpleViewer Pro. (If you want to have a look - it's http://foto-travel.info).
My issue was that I wasn't able to reload the images at all. When opening the local gallery with svBuilder, I always got the "old" setup with 67 images (which I had created with buildgallery.php on the server and then imported into svBuilder); buildgallery anyhow also didn't re-create the .xml file although I had managed it to create all thumnails after several tries.
What am I doing wrong? How can I tell svBuilder to reload all images? I also had tried to use the original gallery.xml file, an empty or no one - but that didn't work neither.

I finally had entered all files into the xml-file manually - but that's a mess, and next time I would be happy to have a solution for this.

Thanks for any hint,

ewy

Re: Reload images? (svBuilder especially)

Interesting - does the sitebuilder program take care of re-working the gallery.xml file to match up image names and thumbs to which it's attached?  If so, then I just wasted a whole bunch of time.

My workflow for creating (or updating) goes like this:

create folder on my desktop called "images" with appropriately sized images
create folder called "thumbs" - re-size and save the images into that folder

Copy & Paste template folder from svBuilder program onto desktop, rename it to the gallery name, then remove and toss the template "images" and "thumbs" folder, and replace them with the ones created above.
Open gallery.xml (in Dreamweaver), manually modify the image names, the captions, etc. to fit my gallery and save to the folder, THEN I open svBuilder.  When I do, all the images and thumbnails appear and I build my gallery (which builds the index.html file in the folder I pointed to).  Upload, and enjoy.

When updating, I simply open the local folder, replace the images, replace the thumbs, and update the gallery.xml file to fit my needs.  From there, I open my FTP client, and upload the "images" and "thumbs" folder, and the new "gallery.xml" file.

Perhaps, since I'm a newbie to all of this (about 25 days ago, I couldn't program a blank page to say "hi")...
...and in three weeks, I've built the following:

http://www.sonic.net/~roo/SCWEP/
http://www.sonic.net/~roo/automotive/

and started up a new forum:

http://www.sonomaweddingforums.com

Perhaps I'm doing it the long (or wrong) way??

Imagery wrote:

Interesting - does the sitebuilder program take care of re-working the gallery.xml file to match up image names and thumbs to which it's attached?

Well ... honestly that's just what I expected it to do - but maybe I'm wrong. But since I do not have DreamWeaver/Photoshop etc., I can't connect it to a workflow in one of these programs.
So let's just wait and see what an expert tells us here ... which (part of a) program should be responsible for creating the related XML entries.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic,

ewy

Hi,

you are correct that svBuilder and BuildGallery.php do not automatically sync up. svBuilder is used to modify a LOCAL gallery (on your hard drive) by writing to the gallery.xml file. BuildGallery.php is used to create or modify a REMOTE gallery (on a web server) by writing the XML and creating the thumbnail images. To sync between the 2 tools you will need to use FTP to download and upload the latest files.

I imagine the workflow being like this:

1) Create your remote gallery with BuildGallery.php

2) Download gallery folder to your local machine

3) Open Gallery Folder in svBuilder to configure it

4) Upload gallery.xml to web

If you want to add new images to your gallery, just add them to the remote images folder and re-run BuildGallery.php. Your svBuilder configuration will be retained. If you want to re-configure your gallery with svBuilder you will need to re-download it.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Felix wrote:

you are correct that svBuilder and BuildGallery.php do not automatically sync up. svBuilder is used to modify a LOCAL gallery (on your hard drive) by writing to the gallery.xml file.

Ooops. I tried it that way (and the first time I created the gallery it also was working) ... but with updates I wasn't able to run buildgallery.php successfully. It just returned with a blank white window (within its "frame").
Would it be feasible to either

• let buildgallery "speak" a bit more so that the user can understand why the xml-file is not being created or

• (preferrably) add an option to svBuilder to re-load and update the actual gallery? Working with the remote server *twice* isn't a really handy workflow.

Thanks,

ewy

but with updates I wasn't able to run buildgallery.php successfully.

Can you supply some more detail? You mean you followed the 4 steps above and then tried adding new images?

Felix Turner

Felix wrote:

Can you supply some more detail? You mean you followed the 4 steps above and then tried adding new images?

Well ... this is how I processed from the beginning:

• created remote gallery (on the server) with SimpleViewer (standard) - this took several tries already until all thumbnails were created, but finally it was working

• updated to SimpleViewer Pro; now it also did show the missing images (>50)

• downloaded the SimpleViewer Pro gallery, configured it with svBuilder and uploaded the .xml file again

So far it was working quite well, my additional configuration was taken over successfully.
Now I wanted to add some more images to the gallery. Therefore I tried the following:

• uploaded the images to the remote gallery

• made sure the images were saved as non-progressive JPEGs

• update the remote gallery (didn't work) - at the beginning it didn't create all thumbnails; after several tries I was able to get the buildgallery.php file creating all thumbnails, but still didn't get the success message from buildgallery (only its white screen without any message), .xml file wasn't updated

• I've checked all access rights, set them to 777 again to be sure - no success.

• also tried (for testing) to add the thumbnails manually - no change.

Any hints are appreciated ...

ewy

This may be a silly question but it's worth asking. Can you confirm that you are using BuildGallery version 2.1? BuildGallery version 2.0 works with SimpleViewer 1.9, BuildGallery version 2.1 works with SimpleViewer 2.

jack

Jack Hardie

jack wrote:

This may be a silly question but it's worth asking. Can you confirm that you are using BuildGallery version 2.1?

Sorry for delay. I've just checked, and yes, I can confirm I'm using BuildGallery version 2.1.

Any further hints for me?

Greetings,

ewy

I'm a bit puzzled by this white screen. It looks like there are some errors but you are not seeing them. Could you try a small change to the code of buildgallery.php on your server? Back-up your gallery first – I'm not suggesting anything dangerous but it's always good to have a backup before you mess with code. If you want to be super-cautious then create a small test gallery and mess around in there.

The buildgallery.php file starts with some comments and then there are a couple of lines like this:

header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
error_reporting(E_ALL);

Don't change these lines, just add one more line in-between them like this:

ini_set('display_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

That's a number one by the way not a lower case letter l. Let us know if you get any more output instead of the white screen.

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks for your feedback.
I'm also confused by that white screen - no error message, even not "white on white" or in the source code.

jack wrote:

The buildgallery.php file starts with some comments and then there are a couple of lines like this:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

Don't change these lines, just add one more line in-between them like this:

ini_set('display_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

That's a number one by the way not a lower case letter l. Let us know if you get any more output instead of the white screen.

jack

I've just copy-and-pasted your additional line into my php file (using the original gallery).
Unfortunately it didn't change anything ... no additional output on the white screen.
When looking into the thumbs folder, I see that several (but not all) thumbs were re-created.

ewy

(Would it make sense to grant you access to the php file by private mail? I'm removing the php file each time I'm finished in order to avoid others playing around with the gallery.)