Topic: Problem with Chrome

I've written some pages using Simpleviewer.  They display just fine, in FF, Ie8 and Opera.  In Chrome, the opening page (no SimpleViewer) loads fine, but when you click on one of the images, the pages with Simpleviewer display as the HTML source code?

The pages are at: www.furnfeather.net

As an HTML neophyte, what am I doing wrong???

Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

Re: Problem with Chrome

Since you're not using an XHTML DOCTYPE declaration, try changing:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

... to:

<html>

... in 'bird-index.html' and 'animal-index.html'.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: Problem with Chrome

monkeyboy wrote:

Since you're not using an XHTML DOCTYPE declaration, try changing:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

... to:

<html>

... in 'bird-index.html' and 'animal-index.html'.

Sadly, my code is a bit of mish-mash... old code from my original site, written with Frontpage, modified in Trellian Webpage (nice, but buggy - loses 1/2 your file ever second save!) as SimpleViewer uses CSS and my old FP doesn't understand them. So I switched to Kompozer, which seems reliable and nice.

After some work, the pages work with IE8, FireFox, Opera and Slimbrowser... but there's something in there which Safari and Google Chrome don't like.

However, when I remove that code, as you suggest, Kompozer puts it back in, automagically, when it saves the file.  I have tried removing this bit of code with several html optimized ASCII editors (ConText, PS-Pad) and even Open Office in ascii mode.  None will read the Kompozer html files - they show me a blank file!  However, Kompozer reads 'em just fine and the uploads work on "most" browsers. 

So, unless someone here is a "closet HTML wizard" and can sort out my little problem from the page source, I think I'll bite the bulllet, start from scratch,  & do it all again.  Obviously, in all the swapping about, something is awry - something not all browsers can handle... and I, as an HTML illiterate, cannot fathom it out.

Thanks for any and all help.

Re: Problem with Chrome

I have just rebuilt one page... from scratch, in Kompozer.  It works. with SimpleViewer's code in it,  on every Windoze browser I can find, and every Mac browser a friend can find, icluding several I'd never heard of!

So, rebuilding, in just one system, is the answer!

Now the work begins!

Many thanks!