Topic: Updating and uninstalling issues

Please forgive me if this topic has been listed already.

I purchased svBuilder-Pro in 2013. Had a look at the information here to update the programme. However, I can't seem to get it to stick. I receive the following message...

"Sorry, an error has occurred.
The application could not be installed. Try installing it again. If the problem persists, contact the application author. Error# 0"

I have attempted a manual uninstall using control panel/programmes/uninstall etc. But I cannot find svBuilder-Pro listed at all, therefore making it impossible to remove.

So I thought perhaps the problem lies within Adobe Air. So I followed the link provided here and discovered a much newer version of AA. However, that won't stick either. And as I recall, I have never been able to update Adobe Air. I constantly received error messages. This is the latest AA info...

Adobe Air:
Installed: 3.7.0.2090
Update: 16.0.0.273

Upon selecting update, it suggests I might not have permissions etc and need to contact my administrator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
podge

Re: Updating and uninstalling issues

In order to install a new version of svBuilder-Pro, it is necessary to first uninstall any existing version.
svBuilder-Pro should certainly be in the 'Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program' list.
If it is not there, then try manually deleting the following folders from your hard drive before attempting to reinstall the application.

C:\Program Files (x86)\svBuilder-Pro
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\AIR\ELS\svBuilder-Pro
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\svBuilder-Pro
C:\Users\username\My Documents\svBuilder-Pro

You may need to show hidden files to find some of the above locations in Windows Explorer.

Rather that try to upgrade Adobe AIR, uninstall it (from the entry in the 'Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program' list) and install the latest version by going to http://get.adobe.com/air/

Also, instead of just double-clicking the Adobe AIR installation file, try right-clicking it and selecting 'Run as administrator'.

If this still does not work, then perhaps you could try creating a new Administrator User Account and attempt to install Adobe AIR and svBuilder-Pro from within this new account.

Hopefully one of the suggestions above will help.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, Steven  :)

Your instructions were clear and easy to follow. However, it hasn't helped. I have searched the programmes list in control panel and svBuilderPro does not show. I even conducted a manual search for it in the search field at the top of the page. To no avail. Also, interestingly, Adobe Air isn't showing in the list either.

I deleted the svBuilderPro folders you suggested and followed the link in my original purchase email and downloaded the latest version. I still receive the same error message during install.

I now have no svBuilderPro. At least the old version I had yesterday still worked. I have no idea what to do  :o 

I have tried to run the AdobeAir install as administrator, but that also shows the same error message as yesterday and because that too isn't showing in the control panel's programme list, I can't find a way to uninstall that either.

I am stumped.  :/

Thanks again for the support.

p

the story continues...

I have done extensive research, attempted MSFixIt! to remove the old versions of both svBuilder and Adobe Air and still I was unable to install the updated versions.

Adobe Air, by all accounts, does not exist on my pc. However, according to the AdobeAirInstaller, I have an older version of it and it requires updating. As suggested in my original post. The error messages I am receiving remain the same.

I have tried manually removing reg keys by following other's instructions whom also had install/uninstall issues with AdobeAir.  This unfortunately solved nothing either.

Any light. Any at all, would be most welcome.

Kind regards,
P

It certainly sounds like you have an underlying problem with Adobe AIR on your system.
If it is installed, then it should have an entry in the 'Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program' list.

If you have not already done so, please take a look at Adobe's Troubleshoot AIR Installation | Windows page which might offer further suggestions of help.

Your problem with svBuilder-Pro is almost certainly connected to your problem with Adobe AIR and if you can solve the problem with Adobe AIR, then the problem with svBuilder-Pro will likely be solved, too.

I would also try searching through (and perhaps posting in) in the Adobe AIR forum: https://forums.adobe.com/community/air/installation
Perhaps the suggestion in this recent forum thread will help: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1717722

Steven Speirs

Hullo Steven.

I don't seem to be getting any joy from the Adobe Air problem solving forums. I am becoming desperate. I was wondering if you might have any clue as to why I can't install/uninstall/update neither product (AdobeAIR and svBuilder-Pro).

If you could offer any help at all, I would be most grateful.

I have this... http://pastebin.com/F8b2vc8t if it helps.

Many thanks and hopes you might see something that is causing this irritating and perplexing problem.

p

In your log file, there are references to both C:\ and D:\ drives. It looks like you might have Adobe AIR installed on the C:\ drive but are trying to install svBuilder-Pro on (or from) the D:\ drive.
Try uninstalling (or manually removing if necessary) both Adobe AIR and svBuilder-Pro from both drives and then reinstall them both on the same drive.
Also, exit code 7 is mentioned in the log file. Maybe the tips in this Adobe support page (regarding exit code 6 and exit code 7) will help (even though they refer to Creative Suite applications): https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/ … -exit.html

Steven Speirs

I was having this same problem.  Manually deleting the folders worked for me.  Thank you.