1 (edited by jcoogs14 2015-03-30 11:56:25)

Topic: Gallery isn't working at all in any browser

I had been using Simpleviewer to put up a simple photo gallery for a bed and breakfast. I was asked by the proprietor to take down one picture and when that didn't work for some reason (the picture remained no matter how many times I deleted it in svbuilder and uploaded site) I simply removed all Simpleviewer elements from the website (I deleted the code and deleted the Simpleviewer folder). So I started a new gallery and did everything exactly as before but it doesn't work at all. Not in the least bit. I paste the code into my page and preview it in a browser but nothing is visible. I'm using Dreamweaver and my hosting service is doteasy. Please help! I've spent too many hours on this trying to tweak my settings but nothing makes a difference.

Re: Gallery isn't working at all in any browser

Please see this FAQ which describes your scenario and might help:
When I view my gallery online, I see a blank area. Why?

Also, please see the note regarding Embedding Using Dreamweaver in the SimpleViewer Embeddign Guide.

If the information in the links above does not help and you continue to experience difficulties, then please post the URL to your gallery's web page so that I can see the problem for myself.
Once I am able to see your gallery's embedding code, I should be able to determine the cause of your problem and hopefully suggest a solution.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Thank you for the response. A few things: it's not just Firefox that it doesn't show up  in. It's Chrome and Internet Explorer as well. And it's not just a blank area that I see; it's literally nothing. Also, I've cleared the cache and that doesn't change anything. And I uploaded the html page and the SimpleViewer folder and that doesn't change anything. But here is the page: http://hannahousebandb.net/photos.htm and thank you for your help.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Please see this FAQ which describes your scenario and might help:
When I view my gallery online, I see a blank area. Why?

Also, please see the note regarding Embedding Using Dreamweaver in the SimpleViewer Embeddign Guide.

If the information in the links above does not help and you continue to experience difficulties, then please post the URL to your gallery's web page so that I can see the problem for myself.
Once I am able to see your gallery's embedding code, I should be able to determine the cause of your problem and hopefully suggest a solution.

Your http://hannahousebandb.net/photos.htm page includes the following line of code:

<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>

Therefore, your 'simpleviewer.js' file should be located at this location on your web server: http://hannahousebandb.net/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js
... but going directly to that location in a web browser results in an error 404 (file not found).
It looks like your gallery's 'svcore' folder has not been uploaded to the correct location on your web server.
It should be uploaded (along with all the other contents of your gallery folder) to the same directory as the HTML page containing the gallery's embedding code (in your case your root directory) as noted in Step #2 of the Embedding into a HTML Page instructions.

Alternatively, if you have uploaded your complete gallery folder to somewhere on your web server, then you could leave it where it is and use the baseURL method of embedding as documented here. Just change the path to the 'simpleviewer.js' file and use a baseURL in your embedding code to point towards the gallery folder.

Steven Speirs

Thank you. But I didn't move anything around. All the Simpleviewer folders are where Simpleviewer put them. And the simpleviewer.js is in the svcore folder. I put a screenshot here: http://hannahousebandb.net/Copyphotos.htm

Your screenshot looks like a view of files on your computer's hard drive (rather than a view of files on your web server).
Have you uploaded the gallery files to your web server?

The problem is that your 'simpleviewer.js' file is not located on your web server where it should be.
Try going to this location in a browser: http://hannahousebandb.net/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js
You should see the JavaScript code but, instead, you will see an error 04 (file not found).

If you upload the contents of your 'SimpleViewer' folder (as shown in your screenshot) to your web space's root directory (alongside your 'photos.htm' page), then your gallery should display in your 'photos.htm' page.

Steven Speirs

I did upload the entire folder, as you can see from the screenshot here: http://hannahousebandb.net/Copyphotos.htm

simpleviewer.js is in the right place.

I've done everything exactly as I did it the first time I installed simpleviewer, with a completely different result.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Your screenshot looks like a view of files on your computer's hard drive (rather than a view of files on your web server).
Have you uploaded the gallery files to your web server?

The problem is that your 'simpleviewer.js' file is not located on your web server where it should be.
Try going to this location in a browser: http://hannahousebandb.net/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js
You should see the JavaScript code but, instead, you will see an error 04 (file not found).

If you upload the contents of your 'SimpleViewer' folder (as shown in your screenshot) to your web space's root directory (alongside your 'photos.htm' page), then your gallery should display in your 'photos.htm' page.

Your latest screenshot shows the cause of the cause of the problem. You have uploaded your complete gallery folder (named 'SimpleViewer') to your web server but the embedding code you use does not tell SimpleViewer to look inside this folder for the 'simpleviewer.js' file.

There are two solutions to this problem:

(1) Leave your embedding code exactly as it is and copy the contents of your 'SimpleViewer' gallery folder to your 'public_html' directory (the directory with the HTML page which contains the embedding code). Please be careful if doing this in case you have any files there with the same filenames which might be overwritten by this process. Take a backup first if you are unsure.
This method of embedding is documented here.

... or:

(2) Leave your 'SimpleViewer' gallery folder exactly where it is and use the baseURL method of embedding as documented here.
You will need to add the 'SimpleViewer' folder to the path of the 'simpleviewer.js' file and add a baseURL within the embeddign code to point towards the 'SimpleViewer' gallery folder.

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="/SimpleViewer/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var flashvars = {};
    flashvars.baseURL = '/SimpleViewer/';
    simpleviewer.ready(function () {
        simpleviewer.load('sv-container', '100%', '100%', '333333', true, flashvars);
    });
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

Either of these two solutions would work fine but I would recommend the second one as it allows you to keep your gallery folder as a self-contained entity on your web server which might help to keep things organized.

Steven Speirs

A few points:

1: I noticed that since I've started this thread, the Simpleviewer code has been radically changed. I started another gallery and I notice it in the code itself and behavior of the program. Now, the gallery.xml and index.html files are automatically place directly in the main directory. I also notice that it doesn't create a Simpleviewer folder anymore, just an svcore folder. What is going on over there???

2. I'm very appreciative for your communication, but the answers are just gobbledygook to me. Your first suggestion said to copy the contents of the Simpleviewer folder into the directory where the html page that contains the embedding code, but everything was already in the same directory. This is a simple website with everything in one "directory". Your second suggestion was to use a base url approach, which is Greek to me. It seems incredible to me that the end user has to be doing so much alteration to the basic code.

3. In any case, as I said, I re-did the gallery and because you guys just changed the code, everything worked automatically, as it is supposed to. I now have a gallery up and working. However, it works fine in Chrome and IE but in Firefox the gallery is cut off at the bottom. I've read that Simpleviewer has issues with firefox but I haven't seen a good solution yet. Can you tell me how to fix this issue?

Steven Speirs wrote:

Your latest screenshot shows the cause of the cause of the problem. You have uploaded your complete gallery folder (named 'SimpleViewer') to your web server but the embedding code you use does not tell SimpleViewer to look inside this folder for the 'simpleviewer.js' file.

There are two solutions to this problem:

(1) Leave your embedding code exactly as it is and copy the contents of your 'SimpleViewer' gallery folder to your 'public_html' directory (the directory with the HTML page which contains the embedding code). Please be careful if doing this in case you have any files there with the same filenames which might be overwritten by this process. Take a backup first if you are unsure.
This method of embedding is documented here.

... or:

(2) Leave your 'SimpleViewer' gallery folder exactly where it is and use the baseURL method of embedding as documented here.
You will need to add the 'SimpleViewer' folder to the path of the 'simpleviewer.js' file and add a baseURL within the embeddign code to point towards the 'SimpleViewer' gallery folder.

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="/SimpleViewer/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var flashvars = {};
    flashvars.baseURL = '/SimpleViewer/';
    simpleviewer.ready(function () {
    });
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

Either of these two solutions would work fine but I would recommend the second one as it allows you to keep your gallery folder as a self-contained entity on your web server which might help to keep things organized.

I'm glad you've got your gallery working but I'll try to clarify a few things.

(1)
When you save a gallery with svBuilder-Pro (on the 'Publish' tab), the application saves all the gallery files (the 'svcore', 'images' and 'thumbs' folders and the 'gallery.xml' and 'index.html' files) to the Gallery Folder specified on the 'Publish' tab.

(2)

Your first suggestion said to copy the contents of the Simpleviewer folder into the directory where the html page that contains the embedding code, but everything was already in the same directory.

The gallery files were in a subdirectory (named 'SimpleViewer') within your root directory ('public_html').
They would need to have been copied from the 'SimpleViewer' directory directly into the 'public_html' directory where the page containing the gallery's embedding code was.

This is a simple website with everything in one "directory".

The web page containing your gallery's embedding code was in a different directory to your gallery files.
The web page containing your gallery's embedding code was in 'public_html'.
Your gallery files were in 'public_html/SimpleViewer' (a different directory).

It seems incredible to me that the end user has to be doing so much alteration to the basic code.

The example in the baseURL support section here has the changes from the regular embedding code highlighted in bold.

(3)
Please see this FAQ:
My gallery does not show in Firefox or gets cropped to a small height. Why?
A quick fix would simply be to change your gallery's height to be a fixed pixel value.
For example, change:

... to something like:

simpleviewer.load('sv-container', '100%', '600px', '333333', true, flashvars);

This should hopefully solve your problem.

Steven Speirs