Topic: Simple Viewer popup not working

Hey,

when i click on AddSimpleViewerGallery button opens a popup that loads the home page of my site only.
I looked relevant topics but couldnt find any relevant.

Thnx for your help ;)

C

Re: Simple Viewer popup not working

First of all, please make sure that you are using the latest version of WP-SimpleViewer (v2.3.2.6) to ensure that any bugs from previous versions are not contributing to your problem.
You can download the current version of WP-SimpleViewer from the plugin's support page here.

When you click the 'Add SimpleViewer Gallery' button, the 'sv-config.php' file should be opened in the pop-up window.
It sounds like something on your web server is preventing the 'sv-config.php' file from being opened and your home page may be displayed instead if it is the default page for an error 404 (file not found).

Here are a few things to check and try.

(1) Check the permissions of your WP-SimpleViewer files and folders on your web server to make sure that they are not too restrictive. Default permissions of 644 for files and 755 for folders should be fine.

(2) Your web server might have been set up to prevent direct access to PHP files which would block the WP-SimpleViewer gallery settings page from being displayed.
Please check the .htaccess files on your web server for any entries such as:

<Files *.php>
    deny from all
</Files>

If you find any such entries, you will need to comment them out or delete them in order for WP-SimpleViewer to function correctly.

(3) Another possible cause might be if you have the BulletProof Security plugin installed and activated. If you do, then you will need to add a skip/bypass rule to the .htaccess file in your root directory for WP-SimpleViewer as follows:

# WP-SimpleViewer skip/bypass rule
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/WordPress_subdirectory_name/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/ [NC]
RewriteRule . - [S=13]

(4) Another thing to check would be if you are using any caching or Content Delivery Network (CDN) plugins, then try excluding the WP-SimpleViewer plugin files from being cached.

(5) If all else fails, try to find out if you have another plugin installed which is conflicting with WP-SimpleViewer. Try deactivating all plugins other than WP-SimpleViewer and check the plugin's functionality. Now reactivate each plugin one by one, checking WP-SimpleViewer's functionality after each one, until you find the source of the conflict.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will solve your problem.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Dear Steven,

thank you very much for your quick reply.
It turned out that the Polylang plugin causes the problem.
Any suggestions how i will fix it?

Thank you in advanced

Costas

Thank you for letting me know what plugin seems to be conflicting with WP-SimpleViewer on your system.

I have just installed Polylang v2.0.3 alongside WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.6 in WordPress v4.6 and WP-SimpleViewer seems to work OK for me. (I activated Polylang and chose a language at random.) The WP-SimpleViewer pop-up gallery settings window displays correctly when I click the 'Add SimpleViewer Gallery' button and the gallery shortcode is successfully inserted into the post when I click the 'Add Gallery' button.

It looks like there might be more to the problem on your system than just a simple conflict between the two plugins when activated.
Maybe there are certain settings in the Polylang plugin that are somehow causing the problem.
Please let me know what settings you use so that I can try to replicate the problem on my own system.

Otherwise, in order to investigate further, I would really need access to your web server and WordPress site.
If you are agreeable to this, then please let me know and I will send you an email address where you can forward me your FTP and WordPress login details.
I cannot be sure that I will be able to determine the cause of the problem but I'm certainly happy to take a look if you like.

Steven Speirs

Dear Steven,

i changed polylang settings and i managed to fix WP-SimpleViewer conflict.
I have one more question.
I try to recreate your modern example as per your website https://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleview … es/modern/
but i see that this is not possible without using flash. Is that correct?
How you face flash problems on mobile devices and iphone - ipad?
I see serious responsive problems. Moreover image caption is not visible?

I want to be sure that SimpleViewer is the right plugin for me before purchasing the pro version.

Thank you very much

i changed polylang settings and i managed to fix WP-SimpleViewer conflict.

That's good to hear. Thank you for letting me know.
If you think there's any specific setting within Polylang which breaks WP-SimpleViewer, please let me know so that I can investigate further (and maybe try to fix the problem from WP-SimpleViewer's end).

I try to recreate your modern example as per your website https://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleview … es/modern/
but i see that this is not possible without using flash. Is that correct?

Yes. SimpleViewer (since v2.1.0) features Universal Playback (an HTML 5 Mobile Player so that gallery images can be displayed on mobile devices). Please see here for details.
However, SimpleViewer is still predominantly a Flash image viewer and the Mobile Player was designed as a fallback for non-Flash-enabled devices rather than a fully featured image viewer within itself.
As such, the Mobile Player supports far fewer configuration options that the Flash Player.
Configuration options supported by the Mobile Player can be found here. As you can see, it would not be possible to replicate the 'Modern' gallery style using the Mobile Player.

How you face flash problems on mobile devices and iphone - ipad?

Please see this SimpleViewer news article which discusses this problem and introduces Juicebox, an alternative HTML 5 image viewer which does not use or rely on Adobe Flash at all.
There is a WordPress plugin for Juicebox available called WP-Juicebox.
It can be downloaded from the plugin's support page here.
It is very similar in style to WP-SimpleViewer so you should hopefully be able to get up and running with it quite quickly.

Like SimpleViewer, Juicebox comes in two varieties: Lite (the free version) and Pro.
Benefits of using the Pro version can be found in the comparison chart on the download page.

Moreover image caption is not visible?

Please post the URL to your gallery's web page so that I can see the problem for myself (and let me know what device and browser you using to view your gallery).
The cause could be one of many things (for example, a certain combination of configuration options or conflicting CSS from your web page) but hopefully, when I see the gallery for myself, I should be able to determine the cause of the problem and propose a solution for you.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Steven Speirs