Topic: SimpleViewer will not launch locally [SOLVED]

I've used SV w/o problems for a couple of years. Now I'm trying to change some photos but when I hit Publish>Save the browser launches locally but SV doesn't load. The "loading" graphic appears but there is no activity and no error message. This happens with both Chrome and Explorer. I'm using Windows 10. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by rick.braswell (2016-09-17 16:44:45)

Re: SimpleViewer will not launch locally [SOLVED]

The problem with viewing Flash content locally is due to a change introduced in Adobe Flash Player v23 (released on 13 September 2016).

Disabling local-with-filesystem access in Flash Player by default

Beginning with Flash Player 23, local-with-network permissions will now be applied to all local SWF content, regardless of the preference chosen at compile time.

Please see the 'New Features' section of the Release Notes - Flash Player® 23 AIR® 23 support page for further information.

Adobe recommends the following workarounds:

Workarounds for Legacy Content:
We highly recommend that you only circumvent these controls to enable content from sources that they trust.

For Individuals:
For Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, Opera and Safari:
On the affected system, go to the Flash Player Settings Manager:
• Mac: System Preferences > Flash Player
• Windows: Control Panel > Flash Player
Select the Advanced tab
In the Developer Tools section, click the Trusted Location Settings button
Click the "Add..." button and add relevant files and folders to the list

For Google Chrome (and other PPAPI browsers):
Navigate to the Settings Manager page
Choose Edit Locations > Add Locations from the popup list
In the text field that appears, type or paste the file/folder path that you'd like to trust
Click the "Confirm" button
Note: Please be aware that the "Browse for files" and "Browse for folder" buttons do not function properly. You must manually type or copy/paste your path into the text field above the buttons to add the file or folder to the trusted list.

For System Administrators:
The legacy behavior can be restored by applying the EnableInsecureLocalWithFileSystem=1 flag to mms.cfg.

Alternatively, you can add your gallery folder to the list of 'Trusted Locations' as follows:

• Visit this web page in your browser to open the Global Security Settings panel of your Flash Player Settings Manager.
    https://www.macromedia.com/support/docu … ger04.html

• Go to 'Edit locations...' and select 'Add location...' from the drop-down menu.

• Click the 'Browse for folder...' button in the pop-up window.

• Navigate to (and select) the folder on your hard drive containing your gallery.

• Click the 'Confirm' button.

• Reload your gallery's web page.

Adobe have noted that the 'Browse for files...' and 'Browse for files...' buttons do not work in Chrome so, after clicking the 'Add location...' link, you may have to paste or type a path into the 'Trust this location:' box and then click the 'Confirm' button.

As subfolders seem to inherit their parent folder trusted location settings, the easiest thing to do would be to just add your root C:\ folder as a trusted location (but this will obviously allow all SWF files on your hard drive to run locally in your browsers and it would be safer to just add your gallery folders as trusted locations).
Maybe you could create a folder on your desktop purely for SimpleViewer galleries and add this folder as a trusted location so that all galleries within this folder run locally without having to add each gallery location individually.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Thank you, Steven. I followed your instructions and the problem is solved.

Rick Braswell

That's great!
Thank you for letting me know.

Steven Speirs

I can't find 'Edit Locations' in Chrome for OSX, Any ideas?

Last edited by dniles (2016-09-26 16:14:18)

Also, in the other suggested fix is using the 'Trusted Locations' settings, I do not get any 'Confirm' button for anything I select.

This is frustrating to say the least. I bought your software and would  like it to function.

The bullet-point instructions from my post above (and copied below) should work OK.

• Visit this web page in your browser to open the Global Security Settings panel of your Flash Player Settings Manager.
    https://www.macromedia.com/support/docu … ger04.html

• Go to 'Edit locations...' and select 'Add location...' from the drop-down menu.

• Click the 'Browse for folder...' button in the pop-up window.

• Navigate to (and select) the folder on your hard drive containing your gallery.

• Click the 'Confirm' button.

• Reload your gallery's web page.

When you visit the https://www.macromedia.com/support/docu … ger04.html web page in your browser, the Settings Manager that you see is not an image; it is the actual Settings Manager itself.

The following screenshots (from Chrome on my own PC) might help:
Screenshot 1 [Link removed.] - Initial view on visiting https://www.macromedia.com/support/docu … ger04.html
Screenshot 2 [Link removed.] - View on clicking the 'Edit Locations...' drop-down menu
Screenshot 3 [Link removed.] - View after selecting 'Add location...' from the drop-down options (you should see the 'Confirm' button ready to click after browsing for a folder)

(The other instructions from my post above were copied directly from Adobe's own support page: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/re … notes.html).

Steven Speirs

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, none of that works for me. I've found the 'Edit Locations' drop-down menu just fine but it won't let me select a folder. I just get a button for "Open." When I click on that it just opens folders and won't stop until I get to to a swf file.

Does this for both 'Browse for files' and 'Browse for folders.'

So right now, the only way I can use SimpleView is to add images, change the xml and FTP to a website in order to see what I've done. If it breaks, I won't know until it's live. That's not acceptable (at least for any client I have).

Any ideas? Will there be a fix for SimpleView?

You should certainly be able to select a folder after clicking the 'Browse for folder...' button.
If you cannot do this, then it sounds like a problem that Adobe might have to address.

Will there be a fix for SimpleView?

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done within SimpleViewer to change this.
It is not possible to change a user's Flash security settings from within a SimpleViewer gallery.
(It would be a huge security hole if Adobe allowed a Flash application to ignore a user's Flash security settings.)

As this is specifically a Flash issue (it affects all Flash applications, not just SimpleViewer), you might also like to try posting in the Adobe Flash forum where Adobe staff and other Flash users and might be able to help you further.
https://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer

***Important Edit ***

I notice that Adobe have changed their instructions on this web page: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/re … notes.html
They have added the following note:

Note: Please be aware that the "Browse for files" and "Browse for folder" buttons do not function properly. You must manually type or copy/paste your path into the text field above the buttons to add the file or folder to the trusted list.

This note was not originally present in their web page when they first released Flash Player 23 (I copied and pasted the original section in my post above and the note is not there) so they must have realised that the browse buttons were not working correctly and added the note at a later date.

It looks like if you paste or type a path into the 'Trust this location:' box (after clicking the 'Add location...' link) and then click the 'Confirm' button, the process should work fine.

I have now updated my post above with the current Adobe instructions so that other users do not encounter the problem with the 'Browse for files...' and 'Browse for folder...' buttons in Chrome.

Steven Speirs

Hi,

I have been using Simpleviewer for the last few years without problems on Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10. Once a month I post about 100 images onto a web site gallery. When I went to do that this month, I got as far as publishing and saving the project in SV only to have it hang when it launches the browser. No amount of fiddling over many days, including uninstalling and reinstalling SV and AIR, could get the viewer to launch in the browser.

Now, after two hours of searching around on the 'net for a solution, and then fiddling around trying to get the workaround on this page to work, I finally have some sort of a result. And can you believe that Adobe offers an interface (above) that includes buttons that do not work? Do you know how long I messed around trying to select a folder before reading further down the page to where Adobe says to ignore its buttons and enter the path manually? OMG

It is unacceptable that I paid for a product which has now, through no fault of mine, become extremely irritating and time-consuming to use. I am VERY unlikely to recommend this product to anyone now, as I did in the past.

What long-term solution do you have?

I pity the thousands of SV users out there whose product has stopped working and do not have a clue how to get it started again, or how to implement the above workaround.

Regards,

Bruce.

Last edited by BruceH (2016-10-04 14:29:04)

@BruceH

It is unfortunate that Adobe have made this change (and even more unfortunate that their own workaround instructions were initially inaccurate, being that their own web page buttons do not work in all browsers) but there is nothing that can be done within SimpleViewer to change this. It is not possible to change a user's Flash security settings from within a SimpleViewer gallery.

Agreed, it is an inconvenience to have to make a change to your Flash security settings (especially when you do not know what the problem is) but adding your Documents folder (or whatever folder you choose to store your galleries in) to the list of 'Trusted Locations' is a one-time change which will allow you to continue viewing SimpleViewer galleries locally as you have done in the past.

I have notified the developers with a suggestion to add this issue as a FAQ. This should make it easier for other users to find the information.

What long-term solution do you have?

Unfortunately, there is no denying that Flash is a dying format.
Adobe have just made it more difficult for users to view Flash applications locally. (Link.)
Flickr have recently taken the decision to deny all Flash applications access to Flickr images via their API. (Link.)
Chrome will begin to block Flash from version 53. (Link.)
Edge is also moving in the same direction. (Link.)
In 2017, Firefox will require click-to-activate approval from users before a website activates the Flash plugin for any content. (Link.)

If you are looking for a long-term solution, then I would recommend migrating from a Flash gallery to an HTML 5 gallery.

You might like to take a look at Juicebox, an HTML 5 gallery which does not use or rely on Adobe Flash Player at all.
It is possible to convert a SimpleViewer gallery to a Juicebox gallery by following the instructions here.

Please see this SimpleViewer blog entry for information on why we created Juicebox, the differences between SimpleViewer and Juicebox and for details of a discount off Juicebox-Pro for existing SimpleViewer-Pro users. (Please note that the blog entry was written over 4 years ago, long before any of the developments regarding Flash which I have linked to above.)

Please note that due to certain browser security restrictions, it is not possible to view Juicebox galleries locally in all browsers.
FAQ: When I view my gallery locally, I see the message "Juicebox can not display locally in this browser". Why?

This does not affect the live preview in JuiceboxBuilder (the desktop application to build and edit Juicebox galleries) which has no problem displaying galleries locally. Also, it should be noted that this issue affects local viewing only; there is no such problem viewing galleries once they have been uploaded to a web server.

Like the recent Adobe Flash issue, it is not possible to circumvent these local browser security settings from within a Juicebox gallery. However, being HTML 5 (and not being reliant on a third-party plugin), Juicebox galleries should still be much more future proof than any Flash gallery (and no third-parties should be able to pull the rug out from under our feet).

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven for a very comprehensive and informative reply. I will certainly investigate the Juicebox option. I was unaware that Flash was on the way out, and since it is, there's no point staying with it for longer than necessary.

You're welcome.

Steven Speirs

Hello. I was having the same problem that lots of folks are having with the SVPro galleries not displaying on their local browser because of the issues with Adobe’s Flash Global Security Settings which seemed to stop functioning properly last fall. If my (hours and hours and hours) to finally make mine work can help someone….here goes…..I use SVPro 2.3.2, Windows 10, Chrome browser, with Flash installed and enabled.

In SVpro, make sure “Flash” box is checked on the “customize page.”
On the “publish page,” copy the “galley folder name.”
Go to https://www.macromedia.com/support/docu … ger04.html
Check the green checkmark option to “always allow.”
Click on “Edit Locations.”
Click on “Add location.”
In the box under the words “Trust this location,” paste the “gallery folder name” (from above).
Click “confirm.”
Refresh browser.

This worked like a charm for me. But, because now I have to repeat for every gallery I have made, I plan on migrating to Juicebox, as Steven @SimpleViewer mentioned in post 11. I absolutely LOVE SVPro, I don’t think I am being disloyal to SVPro, as from the looks of it, Juicebox has ties to Simple Viewer!

Last edited by Prairie3 (2017-02-09 02:25:40)

@Prairie3

For reference, Adobe's own instructions for adding a folder to the list of trusted locations can be found on this web page.
My own interpretation of these instructions (similar to yours) can be found in this forum post above.

But, because now I have to repeat for every gallery I have made...

If you store all your gallery folders in a parent folder, then you can add the parent folder to the list of trusted locations and you'll not need to add each individual gallery folder to the list in the future.
Alternatively, you can just add your entire C:/ drive to the list if you like.

I absolutely LOVE SVPro, I don’t think I am being disloyal to SVPro, as from the looks of it, Juicebox has ties to Simple Viewer!

Indeed... Juicebox and SimpleViewer are both ours!
Check out this SimpleViewer blog post for information on why we created Juicebox in the first place (and for details of a discount off Juicebox-Pro for existing SimpleViewer-Pro users).

Incidentally, it is possible to convert SimpleViewer galleries to Juicebox using JuiceboxBuilder. Please see here for details.
Please note that due to SimpleViewer and Juicebox being based on different platforms (and Juicebox having been written from the ground up rather than just being an HTML 5 translation of SimpleViewer), not all SimpleViewer options have direct equivalents in Juicebox so you might like to tweak your Juicebox gallery using the JuiceboxBuilder interface after the conversion.
For reference, a list of all Juicebox-Pro configuration options can be found here.

Steven Speirs