Topic: SimpleViewer Gallery stopped working

Hi,
We are continually getting the same message too - predominantly on mobile. It literally corrects itself apparently on a whim - going for a couple of days with the error, then working fine without any problems. On mobile, this plugin does struggle quite a bit - so much so that we have not actually implemented it on our live site despite purchasing the plugin on the 22nd December.

I have noticed you now how a HTML 5 viewer - Juicebox - is there any chance we can either get a refund or upgrade to this for free? I assume this will correct these issues.

Chris

Re: SimpleViewer Gallery stopped working

@chrish

We are continually getting the same message too - predominantly on mobile.

If you are referring to the "No Images Specified in Gallery XML." message, then this might be caused by a problem with your gallery's XML file (like it was with Lippiun's problem here).
Try opening your gallery's XML file directly in a browser and if there are any syntax errors in the file, your browser should point them out.
If you'd like me to take a look at your gallery, please post back with a link.

It literally corrects itself apparently on a whim - going for a couple of days with the error, then working fine without any problems.

Whether your gallery works or not, it should be consistent. The code remains constant and, assuming no changes are made to your browser, the gallery should be rendered identically each time it is loaded.
If the problem is intermittent, then it may be server-related (perhaps your web server might not be able to server the gallery's XML file to the browser in a timely manner). You might like to check in with your web host to see if they have been experiencing any issues lately which might be contributing to your problem.

On mobile, this plugin does struggle quite a bit...

There should really be no problem with the Mobile Player within SimpleViewer.
When the gallery is displayed on a mobile device (via the Mobile Player), the thumbnail page should initially be displayed, from which a main image can be selected.
If you are having a problem with the Mobile Player, then please explain in greater detail what the problem is, what devices and browsers you see the problem in and also provide a link to your gallery's web page so that I can see the gallery for myself and hopefully help further. Thank you.

... is there any chance we can either get a refund or upgrade to this for free? I assume this will correct these issues.

We offer a money-back guarantee but only within 14 days of purchase (as noted in this FAQ and on the overview page here). However, we would certainly be able to offer you the 30% discount as an existing SimpleViewer-Pro user. Please let me know if you'd like me to email you the special purchase links.

I would certainly encourage you to try out Juicebox-Lite (the free version) first before purchasing Juicebox-Pro.
You can download Juicebox-Lite from the download page.

Also, try viewing the demo galleries on your mobile devices to see how you get on.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Hi Steven,
Yes I have checked the XML. I have actually had a developer check the XML too and they could not work out why one day it worked, the next day it didn't and so forth (it has not been updated). They suggested it was probably a bug in the software, but it does not appear that the plugin has been updated in quite some time to correct such bugs.

I have tried it on the two servers that I have access to - similar problems have occurred on both, but in-keeping with the original issue these errors have occurred at different times with no apparent consistency as to what could be causing the problems.

On mobile we are getting a similar XML message. It has often been the case where the gallery was not showing on mobile, but was showing on desktop versions. This is why, up until now, we just left it as until fairly recently it would resolve the issue within the hour (and the website traffic for this particular site is fairly low).

I concede your policy is to offer a limited time refund. However, this shows very little goodwill. What this says is we can take a chance and buy your newer plugin and we may experience the same problems - there's absolutely no guarantee we won't. Forget the fact we are a dissatisfied existing customer, the onus is on us to sort out the problem. Your initial solution didn't work - why on earth would we pay you again? Basically - we won't. I'd rather have a working version of the product I paid for.

In addition to the problems we have experienced with this new site, we actually run another website hosted by a different company using the same gallery plugin where at random the gallery has stopped working altogether. (This site has not been edited in close to two years). The only reason we bought this plugin a second time was so that the sites had some continuity. The solution this firm has come up with is to replace the gallery altogether. If it's the XML, it doesn't make sense that a site that has basically been left altogether would stop working. (And no - there are no other plugins on the site or theme updates. It's basically a blank custom Wordpress site that features your gallery plugin and nothing else).

Kind regards,

Chris

I'd rather have a working version of the product I paid for.

I'm more than happy to try to figure out why you are experiencing the problem that you describe but I'd really need to see your gallery live on your web server in order to help further which is why I asked for a link.
Once I'm able to see the gallery, I should hopefully have a better idea of what might be causing your problem.

It has often been the case where the gallery was not showing on mobile, but was showing on desktop versions.

This might be due to the gallery being viewed over a 3G/4G connection rather than Wi-Fi.
If you think that this is a possibility, then please see this FAQ for more information and a solution to this particular problem.
Why can't I view my gallery on a 3G mobile connection?

What this says is we can take a chance and buy your newer plugin and we may experience the same problems...

That's really why I was suggesting that you try out Juicebox-Lite and check out our demo galleries on your devices - to make sure that things work for you as expected using Juicebox instead of SimpleViewer.

This is why, up until now, we just left it as until fairly recently it would resolve the issue within the hour...

As I mentioned above, intermittent or random problems that seem to resolve themselves in time are often caused by web server or internet connection problems.
If the gallery's code remains constant and no changes are made to the browser, then the only two factors in the equation which can vary are the web server and the internet connection. As long as a browser is able to be served the gallery files complete and in a timely manner, the gallery should display the same every time.

In addition to the problems we have experienced with this new site, we actually run another website hosted by a different company using the same gallery plugin where at random the gallery has stopped working altogether. (This site has not been edited in close to two years).

What browsers are you seeing this issue in? If it is only Chrome, then please try the 10 step process in my post above. Chrome now blocks Flash content by default (although you should still see the Mobile Player version of the gallery).
If you could provide me with a link to this gallery's web page, I should hopefully be able to determine the cause of the problem and propose a solution.

If it's the XML, it doesn't make sense that a site that has basically been left altogether would stop working.

It is possible that a syntax error in the XML file might not cause the Flash Player any problems but might prevent the Mobile Player from working so, if the browser is blocking Flash due to a recent change in its security settings (for example) and the Mobile Player is being used, the gallery may not display whereas, in a Flash-enabled browser, the gallery may still display OK. (This was the case with Lippiun's gallery.)

If you'd like me to try to help further, please post back with the URLs to your gallery pages so that I can take a look at them for you.
Thank you.

[Posts split into new topic.]

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,
Unfortunately, as of this morning, the gallery has been removed from the only website accessible to the public domain by the developers (this is the site that has not been updated in two years) and therefore I cannot give you the URL. The other is not accessible to the public as it never went live (due to these problems). I don't really want to unlock the hidden site at present as it could cause some knock-on issues even if temporarily revealed.

We can't really tell our customers that the reason they cannot access the site is due to their internet connection, can we? As a matter of course, when things like this happen we test on multiple browsers, platforms and connections both mobile and broadband. This has not helped. However, in some circumstances accessing the site via 4G could have resulted in the issue - but in general that has not resolved the overall problem.

We tried the plugin in Chrome, IE and Safari all had the same issues. The only solution we found was to change the plugin and pay for another - which irritates me a little, especially considering you have now launched a HTML5 solution which may correct what I think are the bulk of the issues (but then again, may not ... difficult to know when the problem genuinely does appear to occur at random).

Given that we have already paid for a different solution (NextGen Gallery) under no circumstances will we be paying for an improved version of this software - especially as I have no confidence it will work. I would however have liked the option to try the new software given we have paid for this old version which is the exact same price but does not work.

Kind regards,

Chris

As I'm unable to see your galleries (I understand why you're unable to provide links), I'm unfortunately not going to be able to help you out.
In light of this, I'm more than happy to refund you for your purchase.
Please check your email. I have sent you a message. Just email me your SimpleViewer-Pro transaction details (Name and Email Address used for purchase, Date of purchase, Transaction ID if applicable) and I'll pass them on to the admin team who will process your refund.
Thank you.

Steven Speirs