Topic: Wordpress Update

Our slideshows are not working (on an iMac OS version 10.12.4 using current versions of Chrome and Safari) and I don't know why.
However it looks OK in Firefox.

http://www.backroadsproductions.com
I am running Wordpress 4.7.5
In my Plugins, I see I have WP-SimpleViewer Version 2.3.2.4 but there's no alert to Update.
On your WP-SimpleViewer Wordpress Plugin page it says the current version is 2.4.2.7

Would doing the update fix the problem?

Have I somehow lost my Pro status?

Thanks

Re: Wordpress Update

Our slideshows are not working (on an iMac OS version 10.12.4 using current versions of Chrome and Safari) and I don't know why.
However it looks OK in Firefox.

It sounds like you're running into a problem displaying Adobe Flash content in certain browsers.
(If there was a problem with the gallery itself, the issue should be present in all browsers.)
Even if Adobe Flash Player is not enabled in a browser, you should still see the Mobile Player version of the gallery, though.

Unfortunately, certain browsers are starting to block Flash content by default and it's becoming more and more difficult to view Flash content on the web. Please see this blog entry entitled The End of Flash and What this Means for SimpleViewer for more information.

If you would like to try to re-enable Adobe Flash Player in Chrome, please try the following:

(1) Open Chrome
(2) Click the 'Options' button (the three vertical dots near the top right)
(3) Select 'Settings'
(4) Scroll down to the very bottom
(5) Click the 'Show advanced settings...' link
(6) Scroll down to the 'Privacy' section
(7) Click the 'Content settings...' button
(8) Scroll down to the 'Flash' section
(9) Select 'Allow sites to run Flash'
(10) Click the 'Done' button at the bottom right

Please see this web page for similar steps for Safari.

Hopefully this will help. However, please note that visitors to your web site might have to do the same, otherwise they may just see the Mobile Version of your gallery. Unfortunately, there is no way to control user's browser settings (to ensure that Flash content will always be visible) from within the SimpleViewer gallery or its web page.

In my Plugins, I see I have WP-SimpleViewer Version 2.3.2.4 but there's no alert to Update.
On your WP-SimpleViewer Wordpress Plugin page it says the current version is 2.4.2.7

The current version of WP-SimpleViewer is, indeed, v2.4.2.7 (but the most recent version published to WordPress's own plugin repository is v2.3.2.4, which is why this is the latest version listed on the plugin's page).
If you like, you can download v2.3.2.7 from our own WP-SimpleViewer support page.
I do not believe that it will make any difference to the Flash related problem you reported but several bugs have been fixed since v2.3.2.4 (please see the plugin's Version History page for details) and it might be worth upgrading anyway. Just follow the Installation instructions (overwriting your existing WP-SimpleViewer plugin files). Don't forget to reinstate your Pro 'svcore' folder afterwards.

Have I somehow lost my Pro status?

Just to clarify, your galleries are still SimpleViewer-Pro. You'll know if your galleries are SimpleViewer-Standard as there is a SimpleViewer badge/link in the lower right corner of all Standard galleries. This branding is not present in Pro galleries.

In light of the slow demise of Flash, you might like to take a look at our alternative HTML 5 image viewer: Juicebox (which does not use Flash at all). Check out the blog entry (link above) for more information (and details of a 30% discount for existing SimpleViewer-Pro users).

There is a Juicebox plugin for WordPress, too: WP-Juicebox. There is no automated way to convert WP-SimpleViewer galleries to WP-Juicebox but the WP-Juicebox interface is very similar to WP-SimpleViewer so it should hopefully not take too long to recreate your galleries using WP-Juicebox. (Your images are already in place and WP-Juicebox displays Media Library images attached to the post containing the gallery, just as WP-SimpleViewer does.)

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

I don't think it's the browsers. They're up to date.

A question about updating to from 2.4.2.4 to 2.4.2.7 - when I delete the old version to install the new version, will I lose my galleries and settings? I have the Pro svcore directory saved.

Worth a try to update, I guess...

Here are two screenshots in Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit). "Google Chrome is up to date."

On larger slideshows, just the thumbnails appear, no main image.

http://www.backroadsproductions.com/images/OnOpeningThePage-notworking.jpg
On opening the Home page (2 images in the slideshow), two distorted thumbnails appear on the left.
http://www.backroadsproductions.com/images/AfterClickingtheViewer-working.jpg
Click the slideshow, and everything fine.
http://www.backroadsproductions.com/images/Slideshow-noMainImage.jpg

If it helps, here are the settings for the Home page, and the larger gallery in the screenshot examples:
http://www.backroadsproductions.com/images/HomePageTwoImageGalleryNoThumbnails.jpg
http://www.backroadsproductions.com/images/LargeGallerySettings.jpg

Hoping these screenshots appear in this post...

Thanks for your detailed help, Steven.

A question about updating to from 2.4.2.4 to 2.4.2.7 - when I delete the old version to install the new version, will I lose my galleries and settings? I have the Pro svcore directory saved.

No, you will not lose any galleries or settings. No user data is stored in the plugins folder. (The gallery settings are stored in XML files in the 'wp-content/uploads/' directory and the last-used gallery id is stored in the WordPress database.)
The only thing to bear in mind is that WP-SimpleViewer comes bundled with SimpleViewer-Standard (the free version) so you'll need to reinstate your Pro 'svcore' folder (following the instructions here) after installing v2.3.2.7. Alternatively, just delete the Standard 'jbcore' folder from the v2.3.2.7 package (and keep your Pro 'jbcore' folder in place on your web server) before uploading v2.3.2.7.

On larger slideshows, just the thumbnails appear, no main image.

Your screenshots show the Mobile Player version of your gallery so although Adobe Flash Player may be installed in your browser, it does not seem to be enabled.
(The Mobile Player shows thumbnails and main images on separate pages to give the main images as much room as possible when the gallery is displayed on small screen devices.)

Run through the 10 step process for Chrome that I posted above and you should be able to view the Flash Player version of your gallery once again.
I can see the Flash Player version of your gallery in Chrome 58 (having gone through the 10 step process myself) so I'm fairly sure that the problem is with your browser settings.

... two distorted thumbnails appear on the left.

Just for clarification, the Mobile Player within SimpleViewer-Pro always center-crops thumbnails to a size of 75px x 75px. (The Flash Player within SimpleViewer-Pro and Juicebox-Pro allow thumbnail dimensions to be specified via configuration options.)

Steven Speirs

OK, after following your instructions, now I'm successfully seeing the site in Chrome, but that does nothing for potential visitors with the "wrong" browser. (Safari still doesn't work.)

Seems like a lot to ask of visitors.

I'll approach the web site owners about looking for another gallery solution.

Upgrading the plugin didn't make any difference in Safari.

The default setting on these browsers is to reject flash? Why does youtube work?

Could it be a theme conflict?

Ah well.

OK, after following your instructions, now I'm successfully seeing the site in Chrome...

That's good.

... but that does nothing for potential visitors with the "wrong" browser.

That's very true (and something that I mentioned myself in a post above). If a visitor to your website does not have the ability to view Flash content (whether Flash Player is not installed or enabled in their browser or their browser blocks Flash content or they use a mobile device which does not support Flash), then they will not be able to see the Flash Player version of your gallery and will instead only be able to view the Mobile Player version. Several years ago when Flash was more popular, browsers did not block Flash content by default and mobile devices were few and far between, this was not a problem.
However, it is for those reasons that we developed Juicebox as an HTML 5 alternative to SimpleViewer.
There is more background to the SimpleViewer/Flash vs Juicebox/HTML debate in this blog entry.
SimpleViewer is still a viable solution for those who specifically want a Flash gallery but Flash Player must be available in the user's browser for the best experience and, ultimately, this is something that is becoming less and less likely.

(Safari still doesn't work.)

If the instructions on Adobe's own Enable for Safari web page do not help, then try visiting this Flash Player Help page in your Safari browser and click the 'Check' button to see what the results are.

I'll approach the web site owners about looking for another gallery solution.

If you like, you could try out WP-Juicebox. It's free (it comes bundled with Juicebox-Lite) so you have nothing to lose. If you wanted to upgrade to Juicebox-Pro (no image limit, no branding, greater number of configuration options), then as a SimpleViewer-Pro user, you are eligible for a 30% discount (see the blog link above for details).

The default setting on these browsers is to reject flash?

Browser are certainly making it more and more difficult to view Flash content (and even Adobe themselves recently made it more difficult for users to view local Flash content). Check out the links below which highlight the problems Flash users are facing.

• Adobe have recently made it more difficult for users to view local Flash content (see the section entitled 'Disabling local-with-filesystem access in Flash Player by default'). (Link.)

• Flickr have recently taken the decision to deny all Flash applications access to Flickr images via their API. (Link.)

• Chrome will begin to block Flash from version 53. (Link.)

• Edge is also moving in the same direction. (Link.)

• In 2017, Firefox will require click-to-activate approval from users before a website activates the Flash plugin for any content. (Link.)

Why does youtube work?

YouTube supports HTML 5 video (see this link for details) so perhaps it is playing videos in this format in your Safari browser.

Could it be a theme conflict?

I really don't think so but you could certainly try temporarily reverting to a default WordPress theme (such as Twenty Seventeen) to see if it makes a difference.

Steven Speirs