Re: problems editing .as file and caption following image

I cannot get this to work please help.

Can you give some more details on what error you are seeing?

Hi Felix,

What is happening is that my caption ends up on the top left of the browser window.

I made sure I made the changes correctly but must be missing something.

I see that some have gotten this to work but not all.

Cannot figure it out.

The user "watusee" made a change and others said his version worked but his instructions also have a mistake where he says to make a change line 202. There is nothing there. You say 159 which is correct. So the confusion continious

I have purchased both the pro and svmanager. Any possible way that you can provide the altered files so we do not have to do the editing. I have already spend 8 hours trying to figure this out.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi guys,

sorry for the confusion on this subject. My first post in this thread gives the full instructions on how to make the caption always be at bottom-left of the image. I have updated the post to make it clearer.

- Felix

I followed your instructions, Felix and had errors with stagemanager like others here have posted.  I copied and pasted Watusee's code examples (except I put the code for Image.as on line 159, like you have) and it published just fine.  So there is something subtly different between the two?

I opened the index file in the web folder and unfortunately the captions end up in the upper left hand corner, not under the images.

I'm not a novice, but not expert enough to write this code myself.

There is something to what others have posted about info getting cached somewhere too.

When I initially downloaded the pro I made changes to the Options.as and saved it.  After realizing I wanted the captions to align under the images I looked to this forum.  I deleted the unzipped folder to start from scratch, including the Options.as I edited.  I made the changes, published fine and...the result had my Options.as applied on the brand new web/index.html file?!

I cleared my browser cache, I rebooted and still it had the Options.as edits after re-publishing.

Deleted everything this time including the downloaded zip-pro file.  went to the link and downloaded the pro again.  checked the web/index.html and it was back to the original. Ok.

I carefully went through the editing process again, published fine and now the captions are in the upper left most corner as I originally stated above.

IMHO the captions should come default aligned under the images.  This program is so great and I would appreciate any help Felix.  I know there are others and will be more in the future wanting help on this very popular topic.

Thank you,

Dan

I followed your instructions, Felix and had errors with stagemanager like others here have posted

What error did you get?

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I followed your instructions, Felix and had errors with stagemanager like others here have posted

What error did you get?

There is no property with the name '_x'. mCaption_mc._x = mImageArea._x + x;
There is no property with the name '_y'. mCaption_mc._y = mImageArea._y + y;

Thanks for replying already, Felix.
The above errors were reported by Flash when I tried to publish, same as the user, jeffrayner posted a few above mine.  When I copy and paste Watusee's code for the stagemanager.as "paste above the last bracket" step it publishes with no errors, but puts my captions in upper left corner like user, vuser.

Change the  setCaptionPosition function in StageManager.as to read this:

public function setCaptionPosition(x,y){
   mCaption_mc._x = mImageArea.xpos + x;
   mCaption_mc._y = mImageArea.ypos + y;
}
Felix Turner

Change the  setCaptionPosition function in StageManager.as to read this:

public function setCaptionPosition(x,y){
   mCaption_mc._x = mImageArea.xpos + x;
   mCaption_mc._y = mImageArea.ypos + y;
}

Doesn't work. Tried it.

Me and dwheeler must be missing something.
Please post for download the full working files for at least the paying customers. It would save all of us and you (Felix) a lot of time.

Already on my 10th hour on this.

The following are requests I have made with no solution or could not find one in the forum (I have spend so much time on the above issue I have no more energy to look for the rest):

1. Where to edit the template so the .jpg doesn't appear. Doing it manually for thousands of images is not even funny. (Should be option in svmanager)

2. How to remove the permanent UNDERLINE which is tacky in a nice viewer like this. A simple color rollover with the option of having bold letters would have been best. (Should be option in svmanager)

3. How to make the images stay at the same y and left or right x position while only the bottom changes (up&down). From a designers point of view it would be a helpfull option. If this is possible then the back, next arrows to stay on the top corners of the images would be great. (Should be option in svmanager or the Options.as)

4. Download image button like other flash viewers.

5. For multiple galleries to be able to have links appear in the flash movie.
Now that would be a life saver. (suggestion: list could appear vertically under or above the thumbs)

6. Allow svmanager to set the gallery in the main route of the site. Helps when you have html pages that are there. The way it is now it requires to add extra files and special linkage on your html files for it to work.

7. When a solution is found it should be added in the list of options or a separate page.

Although my list for additions on this viewer is very long I would gladly pay $200 to get the first 4. They would really help.

Felix, thanks for taking the time to help us out. I know it is not easy to look at and answer to all these requests.

Hi,

I've been checking back every so often to see if there has been any resolution to this problem.  I am a big fan of simpleviewer and I really want to get the text alignment working.  Is there anyway that someone who has been able to get the text to align in the lower left of the image could post their working files "Image.as" and "StageManager.as"  I only have my Flash trial for one more week and would love to have all the tweaks I've done finally published including the caption alignment.

Thanks, Dan

Did you follow the instructions in my first post on this thread? If you did and it didn't work, what error are you seeing?

Felix Turner

Did you follow the instructions in my first post on this thread? If you did and it didn't work, what error are you seeing?

I did follow the directions a number of times with no errors, but still get the captions in the upper left hand corner of the screen, not aligned under the image nicely. (www(DOT)dwheeler(DOT)info/SVPro/screenshot.jpg)  I zipped the three actionscript files I altered, per the instructions here, so someone could try them on their computer.  ((DOT)dwheeler(DOT)info/SVPro/my_files.zip) Again, if someone could offer their working .as files then I could plug them in my simpleviewer and see if they work, or at least know there is another issue and then I might just raise the white flag on this one :cry:.

The line of code you added in 'Image.as' is in the wrong place. It should be at the end of the function (line 201). I've updated my comment to make this more clear.

Felix Turner

This question has been added to the SV-Pro FAQ Q3: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … n.html#faq

Felix Turner

Yeah!  Thanks for looking at my files and finding the problem.  Anyone that needs to resolve this should follow the faq link Felix provided.

On another note after getting the text to align nicely in the lower left of image I had another problem.  The captions were wrapping (or returning) several lines.

like this:

painting title, oil
on panel, 16" x
18", 2006

After researching I found a solution by changing line 248 in the stagemanager.as from this:

mCaption_mc.txtText._width = mThumbArea.width;

to this:

mCaption_mc.txtText._width = Number = 480;

480 being the width of my ImageAreaWidth.

Thanks again Felix!

Having the caption align under the main image is now supported in SimpleViewer v1.8.5. Use the 'captionUnderThumbs' AS option: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … tions.html

Felix Turner

Hey,

I didn't actually have any problems using this method. The only thing I noticed is if you have a alternating selection of images

eg. landscape, protrait, landscape portrait

The caption jumps to the bottom instantly and looks a little odd. This is because the image fades in. Is there a way of either:

1. stopping the image from fading in?

or

2. Making the caption fade in/appear when the picture is fully faded in?

Cheers Felix, and sorry if thats a stupid question, I just wondered.

Pete