Re: Transparent background

OK Cool, so the first thing that I would try is in the following line....

<embed id="viewer" width="100%" height="100%" flashvars="preloaderColor=0xffffff&xmlDataPath=gallery.xml" wmode="transparent" quality="high" bgcolor="#1c2c45" name="viewer" src="viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

you have bgcolor="#1c2c45"

I'd drop that whole bgcolor statement all together. and see how that goes.

I have IE 7.0 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11 and it display's nicely in Firefox, but as you say in Exploder is doesn't.

The other thing that I have started doing on websites that I develop is putting the spread firefox image down the bottom of all my pages and a little comment saying this site is best viewed with Firefox. i have found so many stupid little quirks in IE rendering that mostly I have just given up. I develop for Firefox, try and fix for IE.

Sites where I have the Galleries working transparently are:

http://www.airbrushworld.com.au and http://www.badattituderacing.com.au

Nice Fish website by the way looks good and smooth, loads quickly and seems easy to navigate.

Cheers,

DAVE

:)

PS. If this doesn't fix it let me know and we can have another crack at it. :)

Thanks for your suggestion.  It seems that it did not effect anything.  Internet Explorer seems to have the same white background.  Any more ideas?  Thanks again for your help on this.

What happens if you load it in a page by itself and not in an iframe within a page?

DAVE

:)

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  Heres the thing.  I am not a web developer.  I have built a few simple sites over the years.  I work in visual media, and work closely with web developers, but I specialize in video. 

I am using Joomla for the benefit of content management, and I purchased a Joomla Template and have fully customized it.  My entire process has been sort of Trial & Error.  I actually don't even know what an iframe is.  Could you take a look at the index.html and gallery.xml files to make sure they are fine?  I can try to post what I have here.  Thanks again for all of your help.

<script type="text/javascript">        var fo = new SWFObject&#40;"viewer.swf", "viewer", "850", "415", "7", "#000000"&#41;;
                fo.addParam&#40;"wmode", "transparent"&#41;;
                fo.addVariable&#40;"xmlDataPath", "gallery.xml"&#41;;
                fo.addVariable&#40;"preloaderColor", "0xffffff"&#41;;
                fo.write&#40;"flashcontent"&#41;;    </script>
</body>
</html>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><simpleviewerGallery wmode="transparent" maxImageWidth="480" maxImageHeight="480" textColor="0xffffff" frameColor="0xffffff" frameWidth="20" stagePadding="40" thumbnailColumns="3" thumbnailRows="5" navPosition="left" title="Fish On! Guided Tours Gallery" enableRightClickOpen="false" backgroundImagePath="" imagePath="" thumbPath=""><image> <filename>Fish On 01.jpg</filename>

hey all,

i'm new here.. this forum helped me make exactly what i wanted. THNX! But i only work on a mac and everything shows perfectly in all my browsers (Opera, FF, Safari). I can't test anything in IE. Looking into iFrames, it said to add a - allowtransparency="true" property to your iFrame. Like this:

<iframe src="..." allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Maybe it'll help IE show a transparent background...

let me know if it works.. can't test it myself ;)

If i could kiss you I would.  Thanks Jay.  The really should add this to the instruction list!

aF

I figured it out.

To make the simpleviewer background transparent with an iframe, you have to go to the simpleviewer index.html file. Half way down in the code look for "body" you have to delete the lines for background-color.

Then under:
var fo = new SWFObject("viewer.swf", "viewer", "100%", "100%", "7", "#000000");

Add this:
fo.addParam("wmode","transparent");

In all the posts I have read about adding "wmode", "transparent" , no one mentioned that you have to delete the line regarding background-color. It took a few hours until I got lucky and took a guess at deleting that line.

Hope this helps others,
Jay W