Topic: Is SV Corrupting my Image Files?

As of last week a new gallery I am creating is randomly showing corrupt image files.  The files only look corrupt when Simple Viewer is used, they look fine in CS6, Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw, Microsoft Picture Viewer, Canon DPP - by going into the images file sitting within the SV gallery folder.  But if I click on an image thumbnail at the very start of the gallery building process and I do a double click on the thumbnail to open windows picture viewer the corruption is visible again. (click here for link to corrupt images http://www.patriciataylorphotography.co.uk/corrupt/.  The thumbnails are fine and can be viewed in SV with no signs of corruption, but as the main image is damaged - which doesn't make any sense to me as the thumbnail is derived from the main image, so how come the thumbnail is OK but the original full image isn't.. what is going on????

I have uninstalled and re-installed SV several times and reprocessed the images from tifs to jpegs in Adobe Camera Raw (which is how I have always done it in the past without problems) but the same files keep showing as corrupt. 

Anyone else experienced this, or have any ideas, as I now seem to have a piece of software that is useless to me.

thanks

Last edited by ptp (2015-02-07 13:41:27)

Re: Is SV Corrupting my Image Files?

The images are certainly corrupt but I think the problem may be happening during the upload to your web server.
If you view this image directly in your browser (taking SimpleViewer out of the equation), you will see the same corrupt display that you see in your gallery: http://www.patriciataylorphotography.co … ges/01.jpg
Try re-uploading your images to your web server (perhaps using a different FTP program) to see if this solves your problem.

If you see the problem locally on your own computer before uploading to your web server and you think that the problem is happening when svBuilder-Pro resizes the images, then please zip and upload one of your source images to your web server (or a file sharing service such as Dropbox) and post a link so that I can download the image and try to replicate the problem myself. Thank you.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Hi Steven - the examples I gave were images that are being corrupted on SV within my PC - it's not related to the upload to the server.  The damage is definately happening as I am constructing the site.  The process goes like this -

1)  I open SV
2)  I browse for my images from a folder within my PC (all images I have used are fine with no corruption - I have tested on several different images from different folders)
3)  I select all the images in the folder
4)  The images oad into SVbuilder and look fine.
5)  I click the Customize tab to go to the next stage - everything loads - again the thumbnails are fine but the main image is corrupt (several tests and same result every time)
6)  If I go through to the next step and save - when I look in the images folder that is created the full sized images are damaged, images in the thumbnail folders are fine. 

So something is happening between the transfer from the original file to the creation of the images file within SV Builder itself.  I thought uninstalling and then reinstalling the software would solve the problem but it doesn't.   I am reinstalling from a back up copy that I kept on my PC just in case I ever needed it.

I cannot replicate this behavior myself and no-one else has reported such an issue so I'm not sure at the moment whether the problem lies with svBuilder-Pro, your images or something else within your system/setup.

Please make sure that you are using the latest version of svBuilder-Pro (v2.3.2) to ensure that any bugs that were present in previous versions but which have since been fixed are not contributing to your problem.
If necessary, instructions for Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro (and svBuilder-Pro) can be found here.

Please zip and upload one of your source images to your web server (or a file sharing service such as Dropbox) and post a link so that I can download the image and try to replicate the problem myself.
This may help us eliminate at least one factor in the equation.

Also, please let me know what image dimensions you set in svBuilder-Pro to resize your images so that I have the best chance possible in reproducing the problem myself.

Thank you.

Steven Speirs

Hi - I am definately using SV 2.3.2 (I have just uninstalled, downloaded again from the original e-mail link and restarted my pc and then re-installed SV 2.3.2 - still corrupt images)  SV is resizing to 1024 x 683.  I decided to use the Adobe Bridge airtight version of SV to compare. 

Bridge SV did not corrupt any of the 90 images - link to zip folder here:
http://www.patriciataylorphotography.co … E%20SV.zip

Whereas the newly installed SV 2.3.2 once again corrupted the large image file (link to zip folder here: http://www.patriciataylorphotography.co … ORRUPT.zip

An original source image can also be found in zip folder here:  http://www.patriciataylorphotography.co.uk/RW%2001.zip

Thanks

Hi
I have the same issue with SV here, with the same corruption occurring at the right hand edges of the images.
I had hoped that upgrading to Pro would solve this. (I purchased pro today and downloaded the latest version, v2.3.2.)  But I still have the same problem.
It is only the larger images that are corrupted when SV resizes them for me.
I can artificially solve the problem by reducing the size of the image outside SV before adding it to the gallery, or by increasing the maximum image size beyond what I really want. But that somehow spoils the resizing feature!
The only safe solution I have at the moment is to turn off resizing. But it would certainly be good if this could be resolved, because otherwise the software would appear to be seriously flawed.
    Joel Feinstein

Last edited by JFeinstein (2015-02-10 22:44:28)

Thank you for providing your sample source image.
I can replicate the problem in svBuilder-Pro v2.3.2 on my own PC so the problem certainly seems to be a combination of svBuilder-Pro's resizing algorithm and your images.

What program(s) are you using to process your images before feeding them to svBuilder-Pro?
If there is a number of different procedures in your workflow prior to using svBuilder-Pro, then please try eliminating them (one at a time) to see if you can find the cause of the problem.

I have also notified the developers of this issue so that they can investigate further.

Steven Speirs

@JFeinstein

Please let me know what imaging software you use (if any) before feeding the images to svBuilder-Pro.
Also, if possible, please provide a sample source image.

The more information we have, the more likely we are to determine the cause of the problem.
Thank you.

Steven Speirs

It is good news (in some sense) that you can replicate the issue, so that there is a better chance of tracking down the problem.
These images might (or might not) have been processed in any of Picasa, Pxlr or WIndows Live photo gallery.
The photos were taken using a Lumix camera on, I think, the top quality jpeg setting.
I'll upload some suitable source files.

Here is one that isn't that large but still gets corrupted.
Source image at http://www.uta-feinstein.com/Misc/Doodle.jpg
Results after SV Pro resizing: http://www.uta-feinstein.com/Misc/Pro-Test/
(The free version of SV also has the same problem, so it isn't just the latest Pro version.)

Last edited by JFeinstein (2015-02-11 08:46:44)

@JFeinstein

Many thanks for providing a source image. Again, I can replicate the problem in both svBuilder and svBuilder-Pro using default settings.

Curiously, changing the image size on the 'Images' tab seems to make a difference. For example, if I change the image size from the default values of 1024 x 768 to 800 x 600, the resulting image does not seem to be corrupt. (I'm not suggesting this as a workaround... just an observation.)

These are the only two cases of this problem ever being reported (that I am aware of) and I cannot replicate the problem with any of my own test images (from a variety of different sources) so it might help to know what (if anything) the images from yourself and ptp have in common.

It seems strange that both yours and ptp's problems are coming to light at the same time.
Maybe there has recently been an update to an imaging program that you both use which is contributing to the issue.

Also, I tried reverting to a previous version of Adobe AIR (I tried Adobe AIR v4.0.0.1390) and running svBuilder on this version of AIR does not seem to corrupt the images.
If you would like to try this for yourself (which may be a suitable workaround until the problem is fixed), you can download older versions of Adobe AIR from the Adobe AIR archive page here: https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived … rsion.html

It looks like the problem might be happening only on the latest version of Adobe AIR and only with your own source images.

In any case, I have updated the developers with the latest information on this bug.
Thank you both for reporting.

Steven Speirs

Thanks for this. I'll try the Adobe Air workaround.
I agree that changing the image size setting has an effect, but it doesn't appear to be completely predictable.
I only started using simpleviewer (free version) a few weeks ago, and I had the problem from the start. I have only just upgraded to pro. But in my case the problem couldn't really have come to light any earlier.
It wasn't until the problem wasn't solved by upgrading to pro that I looked on the forum and found ptp's post.
Perhaps some others do have the problem too, but haven't yet visited the forum?
It is hard for me to tell which images have been edited with which software.
@ptp It seems unlikely, but were any of your images edited using any of Picasa, Pxlr or Windows Live photo gallery? Or were any of the photos taken using a Panasonic Lumix? I am not sure whether there is any overlap in our image processing at all.

My camera is Canon, work flow along the lines of Raw or jpeg opened and reviewed, rated and renamed in Adobe Bridge, worked on in Adobe Camera Raw - save as Tif, then may open in Adobe Photoshop - perhaps to do more work or batch process in some way.  save as tif.  Open in Adobe Camera Raw (batch resizing) - save as jpeg.  Then open SV - browse images wanted - and off we go!  I don't use
Picasa, Pxlr or Windows Live photo gallery.

I don't use SV pro that often, so I can't be sure when this problem arose - I just noticed it around then end of January 2015. The last time I actually used SV to build a gallery was 11th July 2014 and that was fine and images were resizing to 1024 x 683 without a hitch. I did  system restore to 26th January to see if that helped - it made no difference.  But the problem could have been there for a while.

I can't see anything in common at all there. So I don't think we'll solve the mystery that way.
I'm going to try the Adobe Air workaround.

SEEMS TO BE RESOLVED!!!!  Just got a prompt to update Adobe Air - ran a couple of test galleries - all perfect!  MYSTERY SOLVED - thanks !

Yes, same here. It looks like Adobe Air was the problem.
That is, I have tested it with the free version so far with success.
Will try pro tomorrow, as I am on a different computer today.
Let's hope that it doesn't go wrong again with a future version of Adobe Air!

Last edited by JFeinstein (2015-02-12 14:44:42)

I have just updated Adobe AIR to v16.0.0.273 and have tried both your source images in svBuilder and svBuilder-Pro.
The resulting resized images are no longer corrupt in either application so the problem certainly seems to have been a bug in Adobe AIR.

Here's an Adobe Forum Thread detailing the problem: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1662740
According to the thread, it looks like the bug may still exist under certain conditions (but hopefully it will not manifest itself in svBuilder anymore). At least Adobe are aware of the problem.

Steven Speirs