Topic: All galleries stopped working

Hi there, I've just check my site and it appears all the simple-viewer galleries have simply stopped loading. No error message if you look here: http://eileenhogan.co.uk/project/720/ or here http://eileenhogan.co.uk/project/roche-court/ for examples. (though any of the 'works' sections. I've not changed anything in a long while and I'm unsure if this is due to a wordpress update or something. Thanks for the help as always.

Re: All galleries stopped working

I see the problem but do not see anything obviously wrong with your galleries.
Also, I notice that if I disable Adobe Flash Player in my browser, the Mobile Player versions of your galleries display fine.

Try re-uploading the 'svcore' folder to your 'plugins/wp-simpleviewer/' directory to ensure that all core files are present and correct (in case a file is somehow corrupt or missing).
Also, please check the permissions on all the plugin's files and folders. Default permissions of 644 for files and 755 for folders should work fine.

You might also like to take this opportunity to upgrade from SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.1 to the latest version (v2.3.2).
You can download the latest version using the download link from your purchase email. Full instructions can be found here.

Once you have downloaded SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.2, you can upload the v2.3.2 'svcore' folder to your 'plugins/wp-simpleviewer/' directory.

Hopefully this will help. If not, then try temporarily reverting to a default theme (for example Twenty Fourteen or Twenty Fifteen) to see if this makes a difference. Also, try deactivating all plugins other than WP-SimpleViewer and reactivate them, one-by-one, to see if you can find a conflicting plugin.

I have just double-checked that the current version of WP-SimpleViewer (v2.3.2.4) still works with the latest version of WordPress (v4.1.1 - just released recently) and it seems to be fine in my own test installation.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Thanks for the speedy and full reply. I tried all your recommendations and found that it's a conflict with the theme (Divi 2.0) I think. I tried it with the twenty fifteen theme and it still works. What I then did was I loaded a previous backup I found that version Version 2.3.2.2 worked but when updated to 2.3.2.4 it stops working. Not sure what it is but I'm reassured that it works again now. Thanks again for the help. I think the plan is to simple not upgrade :)

Many thanks for posting your findings.

On further investigation, I have discovered that your theme loads the 'jquery.fitvids.js' file into your web pages.
This JavaScript file is designed to resize videos. However, it looks like the 'jquery.fitvids.js' JavaScript file sees the 'simpleviewer.swf' file (embedded internally using an <object> tag) as a video, fails to determine the correct aspect ratio and wraps the <object> tag in a parent container with a large CSS padding-top value pushing the gallery images down the container and out of view.

If you do not have any videos in your WordPress site, then you could simply prevent the loading of the 'jquery.fitvids.js' file by editing your theme's 'functions.php' file in a plain text editor and commenting out (by prepending two slashes '//' to the beginning of the line) or removing the line which loads the 'jquery.fitvids.js' file. Search the file for the term 'fitvids' and you should hopefully find a line which looks something like this:

wp_register_script('fitvids', ..., array('jquery'), null);

It looks like the order in which the 'jquery.fitvids.js' and 'simpleviewer.js' files are loaded into the web page also makes a difference.
In WP-SimpleViewer v2.4.2.4, try opening the 'wp-simpleviewer.php' file in a plain text editor and replace the shortcode_check function (lines 153 to 169 inclusive) with the following:

/**
 * Shortcode check
 * @param array posts
 * @return array posts
 */
function shortcode_check($posts) {
    if (!empty($posts) && !is_search() && !$this->required_core) {
        foreach ($posts as $post) {
            if (preg_match('/\[simpleviewer.*?gallery_id="[1-9][0-9]*".*?\]/i', $post->post_content)) {
                $this->required_core = true;
                add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', array(&$this, 'add_scripts_wp_core'));
                break;
            }
        }
    }
    return $posts;
}

I do not know if SimpleViewer can be made to prevent this from happening but I have notified the developers of this problem.

I hope this helps.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

I've got no videos on their so I'll do that. And once again you've gone above and beyond and I really appreciate the support. I don't think I've had ever had this level of customer support for anything :) Thanks again. Keir