Topic: Total Newbie Caption info [SOLVED]

Hi everyone :)
I just installed SimpleViewer Pro and i have a few questions so please be patient as im totally new to SimpleViewer... but totally excited :)

I will be using it to show mostly screen capture images. I have 4 different galleries for now. All galleries we're done using the wordpress interface. I'm hoping that those galleries will be updating regularly :)

So here's my question:
1 - Adding images directly in the page seems to work fine, is it the best method(or the only one)
2 - I've seen some sample that have captions(some to the right of the images), how do i set a specific caption for an image and how do i get to display it.
3 - If i can do caption, any chance i could have a description?
4 - I was able to get some kind of a decent look using the SvBuilderPro but i don't seem to be able to save it so i'm guessing that this will not go good with updating

Thanks a million for any help :)

Dan

Re: Total Newbie Caption info [SOLVED]

1 - Adding images directly in the page seems to work fine, is it the best method(or the only one)

If you are using WP-SimpleViewer and your gallery is sourced by Media Library images, then the only way to add images would be to attach them to the post containing the gallery. (You can edit the post, click the 'Add Media' button and upload images there or you can go directly to the Media Library, upload images there and attach them to the post manually.)

2 - I've seen some sample that have captions(some to the right of the images), how do i set a specific caption for an image and how do i get to display it.

With a WP-SimpleViewer Media Library gallery, the caption for the gallery is taken from the image's 'Caption' field.
If there is a 'Caption' entered for an image, it will automatically be displayed.
Just edit each image (in the Media Library) and give each image a 'Caption'.

3 - If i can do caption, any chance i could have a description?

Yes. You can use certain HTML tags within captions, for example <br> line breaks to create multi-line captions.
A simple three-line caption might look something like this:

Line One<br>Line Two<br>Line Three

For more information, please see this FAQ: How do I add HTML formatting to my captions?

4 - I was able to get some kind of a decent look using the SvBuilderPro but i don't seem to be able to save it so i'm guessing that this will not go good with updating

You can upgrade WP-Juicebox to use your SimpleViewer-Pro files by following the 'Upgrading to SimpleViewer-Pro' instructions here. You can then add Pro configuration options into the Pro Options text area of your WP-SimpleViewer gallery settings window. Pro configuration options should be entered one per line in the following format:

optionName = "optionValue"

Alternatively, you could embed a gallery created by svBuilder-Pro into a WordPress post (without using WP-SimpleViewer at all) using the baseURL method of embedding as documented here.
Essentially, once you have created a gallery with svBuilder-Pro and have saved the gallery to a folder on your hard drive, you would upload the complete gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server and paste the baseURL embedding code into the body of your WordPress post (ensuring that the method of entry is 'Text' rather than 'Visual'). It does not matter where on your web server you upload your gallery folder to as long as the two paths in the embedding code (the path to the 'simpleviewer.js' file and the baseURL itself, pointing towards the gallery folder) are correct.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

3 (edited by DanielHurtubise 2015-04-03 08:14:49)

Good morning Steven,
let me start with a big wow. Thanks a million for the time.

Found out the problem and fixed the "caption" thing :)

Now the caption shows on top of the image, so great start :)
If i want to have that caption to show say to the right (outside the iamge boundary) is it possible?

Cheers

Captions can be positioned (relative to the main image) via the captionPosition configuration option.
To set the captions to the right of the main image, enter captionPosition="RIGHT" in the Pro Options text area.

For more information on the positioning of gallery elements, you might like to take a look at the SimpleViewer-Pro Layout Guide.
For reference, a complete list of configuration options can be found on the SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options page.

Steven Speirs

I'm going to sound like an ass but where do i find that gallery.xml that i need to edit? I looked in the wp-simpleviewer folder but couldnt find it :(

There's no need to edit any files. Just add the text captionPosition="RIGHT" (on a line of its own) to the Pro Options text area at the bottom of your gallery settings window (when you create or edit your gallery).

Just for the record, WP-SimpleViewer does not use regular static XML files (like a gallery created by svBuilder does). Each gallery's XML file is created dynamically by the plugin's code when the gallery is displayed. This allows the user to change the images which are displayed in the gallery via the Media Library without the need to manually create a new XML file for the gallery afterwards.

Steven Speirs

Steven when was the last time someone said i love you :)
You rock and thanks a million

You're welcome!
I'm glad I was able to help.

Steven Speirs