Re: JuiceBox "not secure"?

Do you see the same problem in our Pro Embedded demo here (different scale of page in Mobile Chrome and Mobile Safari)?
http://www.juicebox.net/demos/pro/embed … Mode=LARGE
... or in any of our other demo gallery pages: http://www.juicebox.net/demos/

If there is a problem with all embedded galleries (a clear display difference in the scale of the embedding page between Mobile Chrome v42 and Mobile Safari on iOS devices), then I will notify the developers as they may have to investigate further.

(The value of expandInNewPage may change the scale of the embedding page, as noted previously, but the scale should be consistent between Mobile Chrome and Mobile Safari.)

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Even when I remove the whole coding (view-source:https://jimmydance.com/example.html) it doesn't work. If you remove the photos then it is scalable!

Yes please, let the developers know about this.

No need to say how disappointed I feel!

Last edited by gxmichael (2015-04-28 07:23:58)

Please let me know if you see the problem in any of our demo gallery pages (as I requested above).
It would help if I could direct the developers to one of our own gallery pages which exhibits the problem.
Thank you.

If you remove the photos then it is scalable!

Just to clarify, when you say 'scalable' are you referring to the initial scale of the page (different sized text in Mobile Chrome and Mobile Safari) or the ability to actually scale the page (by pinch-zooming)?

As no one else has reported this problem and I am unable to see the problem on my own device, the more information I have to pass on to the developers the better.

At the moment, the bug seems to be as follows. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

When a Juicebox gallery is embedded in a web page, the embedding page is scaled differently when viewed in Mobile Chrome v42 and Mobile Safari on an iPhone 4S running iOS 8.3 (as if the browsers are displaying pages with different meta viewport tags). The problem does not occur in Mobile Chrome v37 on an iPod Touch 4 running iOS 6.1.6.

Steven Speirs

Ah! I forgot about this! Yes, your demo galleries are zooming correctly in my system (v42/4s/8.3).

I confused about this two terms. I meant the pinch zooming, not scaling.

"When a Juicebox gallery is embedded in a web page, the zoom function in the actual embedding page turns off when viewed specifically in a chrome browser (v42) on an iPhone 4s running iOS 8.3 (Which is my system. Personally,  I didn't check other devices). In all other browsers in the same system is functioning as expected. <--The problem does not occur in Mobile Chrome v37 on an iPod Touch 4 running iOS 6.1.6.-->
Although, the zooming function comes back by removing all images from config.xml"

In https://jimmydance.com/gallery.html & https://jimmydance.com/greek-gallery.html still exists (in case they want to test it).

Yes, your demo galleries are zooming correctly in my system (v42/4s/8.3).

Thank you for checking.

I meant the pinch zooming, not scaling.

Thank you for clarifying. So the problem is with pinch-zooming, not the initial scale when the gallery is displayed.
Maybe the following will make sense.

In both your galleries, you use expandInNewPage="FALSE" (rather than the default value of AUTO) which will force the galleries to be expanded on top of their respective embedding pages.

In the Expand Gallery Behavior support section, the following is noted. (It refers to the default setting of expandInNewPage="AUTO".)

To avoid opening in a new page on iOS, the solution is to lock the viewport of the embedding page. This will prevent user scaling of the page via pinch gestures. Juicebox will detect that the viewport is locked and expand in the same page.

On iOS devices, when you explicitly set expandInNewPage="FALSE", Juicebox internally locks the viewport (like it is recommended to do manually if setting expandInNewPage="AUTO" and wanting the gallery to expand on top of the embedding page) to ensure that the expanded gallery fills the browser window correctly (so I am surprised that you can pinch-zoom in Mobile Safari, not that you can't pinch-zoom in Chrome).

The only way to ensure that you can pinch-zoom in both Chrome and Mobile Safari would be to set expandInNewPage to either 'TRUE' or 'AUTO' (to let Juicebox decide how to expand the gallery) and then set your own meta 'viewport' tag in your embedding page (to set the initial scale of the page) if required.

You previously noted:

Now the thing is if I set expandInNewPage= to AUTO or TRUE the page becomes non responsive.

Are you referring to the initial scale of the page when you say this?
Perhaps you could try this again, setting expandInNewPage="AUTO" and using the following tag:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />

This seems to work fine in my own tests (the initial scale of the page is the same in Chrome and Mobile Safari and it is possible to pinch-zoom in both browsers).

Steven Speirs

By saying "non responsive" I mean that (on mobile divices) shows the desktop version instead the mobile version (see https://www.facebook.com/jd0031/photos/ … mp;theater).

I tried everything days before as you advice and the issue persists. Wether is on FALSE, TRUE or AUTO it doesn't make any difference... and yes, the viewport meta is set like "<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">" by default. Even if I put the forward slash before the quotation "/>" makes no difference!

I refreshed my phone, and I deleted the cache... still nothing!

BTW, how is that possible by removing the photos pinch zooming works again? Why is this happening only on chrome?

As the majority of the visitors (more than 90%) are using chrome (in both mobile and desktop devices) this is frustrating!

If you try to open the pages in a 4s running 8.3 (chrome v.42) you may be able to see what is the thing.
Also, is very surprising that your demo galleries are respond very well on pinch gestures!

In order for you to reproduce the issue you can download the CSS/HTML/XML files involved on this. Add the photos of your choise as I'm pretty sure that it's not gonna make any difference.

Last edited by gxmichael (2015-04-30 02:46:58)

By saying "non responsive" I mean that (on mobile divices) shows the desktop version instead the mobile version.

This seems to be the desktop version of your web page (not the gallery) you are referring to. The gallery will always display in its 'desktop' form as you have set screenMode="LARGE".

I have recreated your web page (loading the same external CSS and JavaScript files as your page does and using the same configuration options that your gallery does) and I have viewed it in Chrome v37 using different values of expandInNewPage.
When expandInNewPage="FALSE", your mobile web page is displayed (expected) and I cannot pinch-zoom (also expected).
When expandInNewPage="TRUE", your mobile web page is displayed (expected) and I can pinch-zoom (also expected). I do not see the desktop version of your web page as you do in Chrome v42.
Also, when I completely remove the gallery from the web page, your mobile web page is displayed (expected).

The only variable in the equation seems to be the version of Chrome being used to view the gallery.
I see no problem at all in Chrome v37. The problem seems to be somehow unique to Chrome v42.
Also, being that our own demo galleries seem to be displaying and functioning OK in Chrome v42 for you, this suggests that there may be a problem with some code on your own web page.

Whatever JavaScript you are using to determine whether to display the desktop or mobile version of your web page might somehow be failing to detect that Chrome v42 on your iPhone 4S is a mobile small-screen browser. Maybe Chrome v42 changed its user agent string and your detection routine is failing to pick this up.
It looks like you are using jQuery.browser which was deprecated in jQuery v1.3 and removed from v1.9. (Your web page loads jQuery v1.9.) Maybe this is the root of the problem. I would certainly investigate this aspect of your web page further. (Please note that I'm not trying to lay blame on your web page's code. I'm just trying to look at this logically and hopefully point you in the right direction.)
Try using a more up to date mode of browser/device detection for your deskop/mobile switching routine.

Failing that, try temporarily removing your deskop/mobile detection code completely and then compare the web page in both Chrome with Mobile Safari. This might give us a little more information to help along the way.

Steven Speirs