Topic: Simpleviewer and Nextgen gallery mobile in WordPress [SOLVED]

Hello,

I have to update a website with 4 albums and a lot images, made in Nextgen and visible with Simpleviewer pro. I want to update her site, because the images are not visible (need of flash) on Mobile Devices. What is the best way to do this? And the less work!

Thanks

Jelske

Re: Simpleviewer and Nextgen gallery mobile in WordPress [SOLVED]

If your current version of WP-SimpleViewer is v1.5.4, then, unfortunately, there is no upgrade path to the current version (v2.3.2.5). WP-SimpleViewer was rewritten for v2 and is not backwards compatible with v1.5.4. Please see here for details.

If your current version of WP-SimpleViewer is v2.0.4 or v2.0.5, then you can upgrade to the current version (v2.3.2.5) by downloading the latest version from the plugin's support page and then following the installation instructions (replacing the existing 'wp-simpleviewer' files in the 'plugins' directory).
The first version of WP-SimpleViewer to support mobile devices was v2.1.2 so upgrading to v2.3.2.5 (from v2.0.4 or v2.0.5) will automatically upgrade your NextGEN-sourced SimpleViewer galleries without any further action.

No matter what version of WP-SimpleViewer you currently have, you can install the latest version and quickly and easily create a new SimpleViewer gallery sourced by your NextGEN gallery images.
(1) Install WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.5
(2) Create or edit a post.
(3) Click the 'Add SimpleViewer Gallery' button.
(4) Select 'NextGEN' as the Image Souce and enter the NextGEN Gallery Id.
(5) Click the 'Add Gallery' button and Update the post.

You might also like to try WP-Juicebox to embed Juicebox galleries into your WordPress pages or posts.
WP-Juicebox has all the same features that WP-SimpleViewer has (including the ability to use NextGEN gallery images) but using Juicebox (a HTML image viewer which does not use of rely on Adobe Flash Player at all) rather than SimpleViewer. (You can use exactly the same procedure as listed above to create a NextGEN-sourced Juicebox gallery.)
More information on the differences between SimpleViewer and Juicebox can be found in this SimpleViewer blog entry.
WP-Juicebox can be downloaded from its support page here.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Thanks for your answer. I have only the simpleviewer.php file in the xml folder in the nextgen-flashviewer folder. At top of the file: SimpleViewer-XML V1.00
+    by Alex Rabe
+       required for NextGEN Gallery FlashViewer
????

Thanks,

Jelske

As long as you are using the NextGEN Gallery plugin to create your NextGEN galleries, then you can install WP-SimpleViewer and add display a SimpleViewer gallery of your NextGEN gallery images by following Steps #1 - #5 in my post above.

Steven Speirs

OK, thats fine. But it's only possible for new albums? I need to change the current albums? And update my Nextgen Plugin anyhow. Because I stopped updating Nextgen, too much problems.

In order to upgrade your galleries so that they support mobile devices, your galleries need to use the latest version of SimpleViewer.

Prior to supporting mobile devices, SimpleViewer was essentially just a single SWF file which was embedded directly into a web page using SWFObject.

In order to support mobile devices, SimpleViewer changed from being a single SWF file to a collection of resource files (including CSS, JavaScript and image files). As such, the required embedding code also changed. Also, depending on the version of SimpleViewer that your galleries currently use, the format of the XML file may also have changed.

Therefore, as your galleries were built dynamically by a PHP script using an outdated version of SimpleViewer, you would need to modify the PHP script to support the current version of SimpleViewer with the new files and embedding code and rebuild your galleries.

Using WP-SimpleViewer is essentially just a quick and easy way to recreate your galleries without having to modify your PHP script. Trying to upgrade your old galleries manually would be an extremely time consuming task (and perhaps difficult to do within a WordPress environment where content is traditionally generated dynamically).
There should be no need to update your NextGEN Gallery plugin and no need to re-upload any of your images. You would be creating a new gallery (to replace an old one) but this is basically what you would be doing by upgrading a gallery manually anyway. The only things that stays the same are the images.

WP-SimpleViewer uses the latest SimpleViewer files and generates the required embedding code to be compatible with mobile devices.

Using WP-SimpleViewer is by far the easiest way to create a SimpleViewer gallery sourced by NextGEN Gallery images within WordPress.
Just delete an existing gallery from a page or post and create a new one (sourced by the same NextGEN Gallery images) in its place. Once WP-SimpleViewer has been installed, you should be able to 'upgrade' a gallery in this manner in less than 30 seconds.

Steven Speirs

Dear Steven,

Many thanks for your detailed response, I give you a kiss  ;).  Now it's clear to me, it was such a long time ago I made this site.

Jelske

You're welcome.
Hopefully you'll get on OK but if you get stuck, just let me know and I'll try to help you out further.

Steven Speirs

I'll do, next week I will update this site.

Thanks

Jelske

That works, thank you very much. But, before I updated the plugin, I could'nt change the sort order and that problem I still got. In the manage gallery I can move and switch the images, but when I update the sort order, it changes back to before.

What happens?

Jelske

When using a NextGEN gallery as a source of images, WP-SimpleViewer just displays the images in the order in which they have been sorted within NextGEN.

Are you still using an older version of NextGEN Gallery? Maybe you could try upgrading it to the latest version. It seems to be much more stable now than it was a couple of years ago.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/nextgen-gallery/

Also, try resetting your NextGEN Gallery plugin's settings to theior default values to ensure that all NextGEN database keys are present.
I the past, I have come across a couple of NextGEN Gallery installations (I can't remember which version numbers) where the 'galSort' and 'galSortDir' keys (which affect the sorting of images) were missing.

WordPress Dashboard -> Gallery -> Other Options -> Reset Options -> Reset all options to default settings
Steven Speirs

Dear Steven,

I want to give you a hug  :), it's all done and working well. Thanks to your excellent support. I updated NextGen and everything works fine again. I can sort order again. And visible at the mobile device too.

Thanks a lot

Jelske

You're welcome! I'm glad you've got it working.
Thank you for posting back to let me know.

Steven Speirs