Topic: Flickr User Not Found

We are using the Simpleviewer Pro 2.3.2 version of the product.  Out embedded gallery on our intranet has been working for months and suddenly yesterday or the day before it shows as "flickr user not found". 

We've not changed any code or changed anything on Flickr - our user is still accessible and the galleries are still public.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/techydirector/

What has changed - do you know?   I can't see anything on Flickr either?

Last edited by techydirector (2016-09-16 08:57:51)

Re: Flickr User Not Found

It looks like using techydirector as your flickrUserName should work fine. It certainly works OK for myself in svBuilder-Pro at the moment. Maybe Flickr have been experiencing a problem with their servers recently which is causing a problem with your images.

If possible, please post a link to your gallery's web page. Maybe you could upload it somewhere so that I can take a look at the problem for myself and hopefully help further.
Thank you.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Please see this forum thread.

When I tried your Flickr User Name in a SimpleViewer gallery and found that it worked OK, I viewed it locally (after adding the gallery folder as a trusted location in Adobe Flash Player's security settings) and the problem seems to manifest itself only when the gallery has been uploaded to a web server.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

Thanks for looking at this.

Are you saying that the short term measure is to force it to show as mobile rather than flash, but it displays as multiple thumbnails rather than a slideshow effect?

Thanks,

Elliott

Hi!

I'm a Simpleviewer Pro 2.3.2 V user and I've the same problems.

The problem begun after some change in Flickr. In consequence of this change even the flickr slideshows didn't work. After several complains to flickr, by a lot of users, they solve the problem with their galleries, but the problem continues to simpleviewer galleries. The problem exists only if the galleries are called by flickrUserName, flickrUserId, flickrSetId or flickrTags.
For Galleries called by link everythis is fine.

Problem with galleries called by flickrSetId:

http://www.espirito-de-aventura.iblogge … trela.html
http://www.espirito-de-aventura.iblogge … a/FT5.html

Galleries called by photo links (working fine):

http://www.espirito-de-aventura.iblogge … Corgo.html

AutoViewer galleries by link are working fine too:

http://www.espirito-de-aventura.iblogge … /FT_O.html

It seems that the problem is with the access to Flickr (API Key???)

@techydirector

Are you saying that the short term measure is to force it to show as mobile rather than flash, but it displays as multiple thumbnails rather than a slideshow effect?

Yes, the Mobile Player still displays Flickr images OK. Please see this FAQ regarding the Mobile Player:
The mobile player layout does not match the Flash player layout. Why not?

@espirito-de-aventura

Yes, if you hardcode the URLs to the images on Flickr's servers as the imageURL entries in the gallery's XML file, then the images will be displayed OK.

From what I can gather from the two Flickr forum threads below, the problem seems to be that Flickr have changed the 'crossdomain.xml' files on their servers, removing the <allow-access-from domain="*.*"/> entry.
This will effectively prevent all Flash applications (not just SimpleViewer) from receiving data via the Flickr API (which SimpleViewer uses to dynamically fetch the image URLs from Flickr's servers).

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us … 774160786/
https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us … 915767215/

Unfortunately, until Flickr reinstates the <allow-access-from domain="*.*"/> entry in their 'crossdomain.xml' files, there is nothing that any Flash application can do to successfully use the Flickr API.

The best course of action in the meantime seems to be to force SimpleViewer to use the Mobile Player instead of the Flash Player (as noted in this forum thread).

Steven Speirs

I can understand that and I, as a Flickr client, I'm trying to make some pression to fix de problem.

I would like to know as a User of Simpleviewer Pro if your company as already make any kind of contact with Fickr to solve the situation. As you know, at this moment, Simpleviewer, the product you announce and sell, don't have all the functionalities working, as any buyer ou Pro User expects.

We can see that in this link on your commercial page:

https://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleview … s/compact/

What you think about it?

As I noted in this forum thread (regarding the same issue), I have notified the developers of this situation (and to inform them that the online demos are also currently broken as you point out). I am waiting to hear back from them and do not yet know what action they have taken.
I will post back here when I have any more news.
Thank you for your patience.

Steven Speirs

We have posted in the Flickr forum here: https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us … 994865581/

If you are affected by this issue and have a Flash/Flickr image gallery that has recently stopped working, please make a note in a reply to our Flickr post. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

Mr. Steven Speirs

I tested Juicebox Gallery (free version) and the problem don't exist. We can load Flickr photos by User Name and tags and they work fine.

The Pro version can load by setId (for me is that I need most).

Question 1: Can you ensure me that with Juicebox Pro this kind of functionalities work fine with Flickr?

Question 2: The Flickr blocked flash aplications like simpleviewer. It's possible to Flickr do the same to Juicebox?

Question 3: As a Simpleviewer PRO costumer and with this recent problem may I have some discount if I buy Juicebox?

Waiting for your answer

The Pro version can load by setId (for me is that I need most).

Question 1: Can you ensure me that with Juicebox Pro this kind of functionalities work fine with Flickr?

Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee any functionality provided by a third-party image hosting service that we have no control over. Flickr provides a public API which we use within both SimpleViewer and Juicebox. The recent move by Flickr has affected all Flash applications which use the Flickr API but HTML applications and web pages remain unaffected (which is why Juicebox and the Mobile Player within SimpleViewer still both work fine).
At the moment, all Flickr functionality within Juicebox-Pro (including using flickrSetId to display all images from a Flickr Set) works fine. However, please see the answer to #2 below.

Question 2: The Flickr blocked flash aplications like simpleviewer. It's possible to Flickr do the same to Juicebox?

In theory, Flickr could, at any time, change or remove their API and if they did this, it could certainly have an affect on Juicebox galleries. However, the purpose of having a public API is to allow users to fetch and display images hosted on Flickr within their own apps and web pages. I think it is unlikely that Flickr would change or remove such functionality but I have no way of knowing. It would be safer to host the images for your gallery on your own server (where you have more control over what happens to them) but I understand the convenience and flexibility of using Flickr. (I use Flickr myself.)

Question 3: As a Simpleviewer PRO costumer and with this recent problem may I have some discount if I buy Juicebox?

Yes. Please see this SimpleViewer news article for more information on the differences between SimpleViewer and Juicebox and for details of a discount off Juicebox-Pro for existing SimpleViewer-Pro users.
For anyone switching from SimpleViewer to Juicebox, it is possible to convert a SimpleViewer gallery to Juicebox by following the Converting a SimpleViewer Gallery instructions in the Juicebox support pages.

@espirito-de-aventura
Please check your email. I have sent you a message. Thanks!

Steven Speirs

I would love to switch to the Juicebox, but I feel like the price break is high compared to that of the original simpleviewer which is $45 for unlimited use and juicebox which costs $95 for 5 websites? Why the huge difference in price. I have one website That has numerous galleries spread out over their whole website featuring all of their dog litters (which I understand may or may not be affected due to being the same domain). But most of my clients utilizes galleries.

@fireproofgfx

Thank you for your interest in Juicebox-Pro.

Why the huge difference in price.

As you are aware, SimpleViewer-Pro and Juicebox-Pro have different licensing models. (I am not involved in licensing decisions so, unfortunately, cannot answer why.)
SimpleViewer-Pro: Is there a limit on how many websites I can create with SimpleViewer-Pro?
Juicebox-Pro: How many websites can I use Juicebox-Pro on?

It is possible to purchase a Single-Site license or a 5-Site license for Juicebox-Pro from the Download page.
However, we would be able to offer a deal on more than 10 licenses. Please see this FAQ:
Can I get a deal on more than 10 licenses?

If you think you might need more than 10 licenses, please let me know and I'll send you an email with details.

I have one website That has numerous galleries spread out over their whole website featuring all of their dog litters (which I understand may or may not be affected due to being the same domain).

If all your galleries are on the same domain, then a Single-Site license would be sufficient.
Please also see this FAQ:
Does a single domain license cover multiple subdomains?

You may already have found a lot of this information yourself but it might help others who are not familiar with Juicebox but are looking for an HTML alternative to SimpleViewer (especially in light of the change that Flickr has recently made affecting all Flash applications which utilise the Flickr API).

Steven Speirs