1 (edited by Jelske 2017-07-17 15:01:18)

Topic: Gallery display at once different at different browsers and computers

A client complained about her website, at once the view of her images has changed. No images, just arrows. At my Macs it is a good view and some at Windows, but she and others has a wrong view. The same as at my mobile, very rare.
How and what can I do? I can send you screenshots, don't know how it works in this message.
This is the url: http://luzco.nl/Sieraden/sieraden.html

Thanks

Re: Gallery display at once different at different browsers and computers

Here are a few things you can try:

(1) If the problem happens only on mobile devices, then it could be due to viewing the gallery over a 3G/4G connection rather than wi-fi. Please see this FAQ for more information and a solution:
Why can't I view my gallery on a 3G mobile connection?

(2) I notice that your gallery currently uses SimpleViewer-Pro v2.1.3. Please try upgrading your gallery to the current version (v2.3.2) as many bugs have been fixed since v2.1.3 and upgrading might fix your problem without any further action. Please see the Version History for a list of changes between versions. Full instructions for upgrading existing galleries can be found on the Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro support page. To upgrade your gallery, all you need to do is replace your gallery's existing 'svcore' folder with the 'svcore' folder from the SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.2 zip package ('simpleviewer_pro_2.3.2/web/svcore').

(3) Try validating your web page using the online W3C Markup Validation Service and then fixing the HTML errors reported. (For example, your web page currently has two opening <html> tags.) Once the code on your web page validates correctly, your web page should be rendered with greater predictability and consistency across different browsers.

I hope these suggestions help.

Incidentally, it is not possible to attach screenshots to forum posts here but you can upload screenshots to your web site (or a file sharing service such as Dropbox) and include links to them in your posts.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Hi Steven, Thanks for your help. I did all the suggestions you said in your reply. But no solution. I think it has to do with flash, when I give Chrome permission for flash, the good version came. Here are some screenshots: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1o5kao3tgzv4 … Cvjma?dl=0

I looked for Juicebox, because that can be a solution. But some problems I got: the transparency.png I use to show some tekst, doesn't show in the preview and no thumbnails, only one thumbnail is seen. When I click at the square the image is coming. So? Do you have an idea?  Thanks

Thank you for uploading the screenshots.
The 'good' screenshots show the Flash Player version of your gallery.
The 'bad' screenshots show the Mobile Player version (but with a positioning problem, which is why you sometimes see only navigation arrows).
The Mobile Player will be used when Adobe Flash Player is not installed and enabled in the browser (and, unfortunately, even if Adobe Flash Player is installed, browsers are starting to block Flash content by default).
The positioning problem is likely to be due to either:
(1) A bug in SimpleViewer v2.1.3. (Checking the Version History page, certain gallery sizing issues were fixed in SimpleViewer v2.2.0.)
(2) Custom CSS code on your web page conflicting with (and overriding) the Mobile Player's own CSS. Make sure that you do not have any global CSS code on your web page that the gallery might be inheriting.

Juicebox should certainly be a suitable non-Flash alternative.
Please see these two SimpleViewer blog entries for more information on SimpleViewer vs Juicebox.
What does Juicebox Mean for SimpleViewer-Pro Customers?
The End of Flash and What this Means for SimpleViewer.

Juicebox can certainly display PNG files but there are a couple of known problems with JuiceboxBuilder's handling of PNG images. (The developers are aware of these problems and they should hopefully be fixed in a future version.)

When JuiceboxBuilder-Pro resizes PNG files for a gallery, JPEG images are created and any transparency in the PNG files is lost. Transparent regions are rendered as black in the main image but white in the thumbnail.

The solution to this should be to prevent JuiceboxBuilder from processing PNG images by deselecting the 'Resize Images' checkbox on the 'Images' tab.
If this is done, JuiceboxBuilder should just copy the source images across to the gallery's 'images' folder (without any processing). This much is true (images remain untouched) but the PNG images in the 'images' folder are (incorrectly) given '.jpg' file extensions. (The paths in the gallery's 'config.xml' file match and browsers should still be able to display them, though.)
However, thumbnail images are still generated (as JPEG files) and the transparency issue cannot be overcome from within the JuiceboxBuilder interface.

The best course of action when using PNG files with transparency would be to just manually copy them across to the gallery's 'images' folder and then make sure that there is an <image> entry for each PNG image in the gallery's 'config.xml' file. The corresponding imageURL and thumbURL can both point towards a single PNG file. (When the gallery is displayed, Juicebox will dynamically resize the image for use as a thumbnail.)

I hope this helps to explain what you are seeing and how to hopefully work around the problems.

Steven Speirs

Thank you Steven. I think I want to use juicebox, but a view questions about it. How does it look at a mobile? And where can I make changes? In SV I did it at the config.xml. I put another screenshot of what I want to change: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1o5kao3tgzv4 … Cvjma?dl=0 Compare to the the good screenshot.

How does it look at a mobile?

Check out the iPhone Simulation demo gallery and also the Screen Modes support section in the Gallery Tour for more information about how Juicebox adapts to different devices and screen sizes.

And where can I make changes? In SV I did it at the config.xml.

SimpleViewer uses a configuration file named 'gallery.xml'. Juicebox uses a similar file named 'config.xml'.
Download Juicebox-Lite (the free version) from the Download Page and you'll find a sample 'web' gallery (including the 'config.xml' file) inside the zip file. (You can also install JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and create your own galleries.)

I put another screenshot of what I want to change:

Your 'screenshots bad.pdf' file shows a problem which looks to be caused by custom CSS on your web page. I notice that you have some CSS being applied directly to your #sv-container <div> in your 'Style.css' file. Please check to see if this is causing your problem. Also, please check the CSS for all parent containers that your gallery is nested within (#container3 and #mainContent) as this is likely to be where the problem lies.

If you were to set your gallery's width to 100% (in the embedding code) then the gallery should fill the width of its parent container (no matter what the width of the parent container is) without spilling over.

Also, I notice that you also have two elements on your web page with id="pijl1" (a <div> and and an <a> tag) and there is CSS being applied to #pijl1 in your 'Style.css' file. There should be no duplicate ids on a web page. Each id should be unique. This could potentially be causing layout problems on your web page (although I suspect the CSS for your gallery's parent containers to be the cause of the problem).

Steven Speirs