Topic: Problem with svBuilder install

Hello,

I have a problem with de svBuilder installation.
The message is

Re: Problem with svBuilder install

Please see the Installation Issues section of the svBuilder User Guide.
There are troubleshooting tips there regarding certain error messages which should hopefully help.

Also, if you encounter a 'certificate' error message, then the solution is usually to completely uninstall your existing version of svBuilder first before installing the new version.
Mac: Delete the 'svBuilder' file from the Applications folder and empty your Trash.
Windows: Use the uninstaller in the 'Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program...' list.

I hope these notes help.
However, if you continue to experience difficulties, please post back and let me know what error message is displayed so that I can help further. Thank you.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

I have just double-checked and the SimpleViewer-Standard v2.3.2 zip package hosted on our web server is OK (not corrupt or damaged) and the 'svBuilder.air' file is also as it should be, exactly as it was when it was first released with the correct properties (I checked the filesize and MD5 and SHA1 hashes), but I have just tried to install svBuilder myself and have encountered a problem (see error message below) which might be connected to the problem you have reported.

Sorry, an error has occurred.

The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is (the Adobe AIR error message is not very accurate or descriptive as the file is not actually damaged) but I suspect that there may be either a certificate problem or an issue with the application trying to verify the publisher.

I have contacted the developers and hope that they will be able to shed some light on the problem.

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I will post back here again when I hear back from the developers.
Thank you for your patience.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

I am also getting the same error you posted when trying to install SimpleViewer on a new machine, with the latest version of AIR.  I have tried the other remedies mentioned in the user guide to no avail.  I would appreciate any updates on the problem.

@maasvt

Thank you for the report.
I have contacted the developers again and await their reply.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a workaround to install the application and we really need to wait for the developers to investigate further, determine the exact cause of the problem and hopefully provide a solution.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.

I will post back here again as soon as I have any further news on the subject.

Steven Speirs

@MikaL & @maasvt

Thank you for your patience.
I have heard back from the developers with regard to the svBuilder installation problem that you reported but, unfortunately, they have not yet been able to resolve the problem.

If you are looking for an alternative to SimpleViewer, then I would recommend our HTML 5 image viewer, Juicebox.

You can find out more about the differences between Juicebox and SimpleViewer in the two blog entries below:
What does Juicebox Mean for SimpleViewer-Pro Customers?
The End of Flash and What this Means for SimpleViewer.

You can download Juicebox-Lite (the free version) from the download page here.

Steven Speirs

@MikaL & @maasvt

I just run into the same problem... did you find a way to make it work or did you find a work-around?

hopefully...
chris

Unfortunately, the installation problem with svBuilder has not yet been resolved.

In the meantime, I should perhaps point out that there are other method of creating a SimpleViewer gallery.
There are several plugins available for different software packages (please see here for details) and you can also create a gallery manually by modifying the sample 'web' gallery from the SimpleViewer download zip package, following the 'SimpleViewer Manual Instructions' here.
I realise that it is not as convenient as using svBuilder but it might help if you need to create a gallery urgently.

If you do decide to move over to Juicebox (which being HTML 5 instead of Flash, should help to future-proof your website), then you can convert SimpleViewer galleries to Juicebox by following the 'Converting a SimpleViewer Gallery' instructions here.

Steven Speirs